Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
color laserjet pro m254dw
macOS 10.14 Mojave

my color laserjet pro m254dw was working with non hp toner cartridges until the latest firmware update.  I want to downgrade to the previous version.  How do I do it?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @petejurk,

I'd like to help!

We can perform a factory defaults on the printer to resolve the issue

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

@Jay_G24 wrote:

Hi @petejurk,

I'd like to help!

We can perform a factory defaults on the printer to resolve the issue

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

I'm sorry but resetting the printer does not reset the firmware back. It's sad that's the real HP does not read the question or does not now that the last firmware blocks 3rd party supplies.  This answer will make it just worse if the user has a network setup. After this the settings will be lost and still no luck with the issue. To downgrade your firmware the simplest way would be to use a windows pc, a usb cable and as follows:

About your post

First in the printer :

1. Settings -> Service -> Laserjet Update -> Manage Updates -> Allow Downgrade -> YES
2. Settings -> Service -> Laserjet Update -> Manage Updates -> Check Automatically -> OFF

On the PC:
3. download 12062020 update
4. Open the update, choose your printer and update the printer
5. Check after updating if the settings in point 1. and 2. are left as you set them.

Just a electronics enthusiast trying to fix everything.
If this reply was helpful, click on the "yes" below to let others know. 🙂
If i solved your problem, please mark your thread solved:)

HP Recommended

White can I find a good upgrade. I found one, installed it about a thousand times but it does not work. Firmware date keeps being 20201021.

HP Recommended

Could you help me downgrade a hp color laser150a firmware? This one does not have an LCD screen with the settings menu

Thanks for your time

HP Recommended

No LCD? I can't help you with that. I'd ask HP tech support or ask others more knowledgeable on this forum to help you.

HP Recommended

Thanks I will try to ask someone from HP

HP Recommended

First, make sure you go into your HPCLJP M254dw Setup and change the following:

Setup > Service > LaserJet Update > Manage Updates:

Check Automatically = NO

Prompt Before Install = YES

Allow Updates = YES (change after downgrade to NO)

Allow Downgrade = YES

You can then download the 20200612 firmware from HP's FTP site...

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/pfirmware/HP_Color_LaserJet_Pro_M254_dw_Printer_series_202... 

Then, from Terminal session, you can issue the following command to list your connected printers...

$ lpstat -p -d
printer HP_Color_LaserJet_M254dw_0 is idle.  enabled since Fri Nov  6 17:47:06 2020
system default destination: HP_Color_LaserJet_M254dw_0

Ensuring your printer is idle, then execute the following command in Terminal session to downgrade your firmware... making sure you reference your specific printer name (in last command output) correctly...

$ lpr -P HP_Color_LaserJet_M254dw_0 /Users/<username>/Downloads/HP_Color_LaserJet_Pro_M254_dw_Printer_series_20200612.rfu

You should see, after brief delay as print job (firmware) is downloaded to the printer, a black screen on the printer's LCD that shows "HP" and "Energy Star" and update status bar...  

Wait until the printer downgrades and shuts down/reboots... should take about 2-3 minutes...  

You can check firmware code in the Service menu... to ensure the firmware downgrade was successful.

If not, simply try again.

I hope that helps! 

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

HP Support has since removed the file from their FTP servers... hence link is now broken.

Clearly, HP does not want to support customers in downgrading the firmware on their printer.

I would suggest searching internet for the RFU filename to locate a download site... 

"HP_Color_LaserJet_Pro_M254_dw_Printer_series_20200612.rfu"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.