Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 3700 All-in-one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have bought 2 of the 3700 all-in-one, units over the past year.

I work out of town a lot.

I bought the printer home, I set it up and use it for a couple of days.

I then go out of town for a couple of months.

When I get back, I try to print, the printer goes through the motions, but nothing comes out on the page.

I buy replacement ink cartridge's, install them correctly.

Then try to copy or print, and still nothing comes out on the paper.

I bought a second one, because I have already purchased several cartridges.

Same thing.

It worked great for the month i was in town.

I leave for work again for 6 weeks.

When I come back, I have the same issue.

So now I am stuck with 2 HP printers, 8 ink cartridges and none of it is useful.

Would not recommend and am now looking for another printer that is not HP

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @JeremyKilfoy,

I'd like to help!

I understand you are facing print quality issues with the printer

To assist  better-

1) Does the copy print out the same way? 

2) What's the application you are trying to print from? Have you tried printing from a different application or devices? 

While you respond to that, let's print a Print Quality Diagnostic page -

1. Load plain white paper in the tray.

2. Print the report from the HP Smart app or the full feature printer software.

• Windows: Search Windows for your printer name to open HP Printer Assistant. Click Maintain Your Printer, select the Device Services tab, and then click Print Quality Diagnostics Page to print the report.

Post the Print Quality Diagnostic page here so we can help you further. 

You may also refer to this document with steps to fix " Print Quality Issues" issue applicable for your printer -  Print Quality Issues

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

I have tries printing word, excel and photos, from my phone, from my HP computer, from my acer computer, and from a friends computer.

I have tried different grades of paper.

This happened with both printers.

Because I am out of town for extended periods of time, the warranty has expired before I have the opportunity to bring it back.

What a waste of money as well as non-biodegradable materials in the landfill.

HP Recommended

Thank you for getting back to me.

Try the below the steps -

Reset the printer

Reset the printer to recover from printer errors or failures.

1. If your printer has a rechargeable battery, remove it.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

3. Unplug the power cord from the power source.

4. Wait 60 seconds.

5. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.

NOTE: 

HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

6. Turn on the printer to complete the reset.

Clean the ink cartridge and carriage electrical contacts

Remove any debris or buildup from the contacts on the cartridges and in the carriage.

1. Open the door or lid to the cartridge access area. Wait until the carriage stops moving before continuing.

2. Remove the cartridge indicated in the error message from the carriage.

• Carriages with cartridge latches: Open the latch, and then pull the cartridge up and out of the slot.

Removing the ink cartridges with latches from the carriage

• Carriages without cartridge latches: Gently press down on the cartridge to release it, and then pull it out of the slot.

Removing the ink cartridges from the carriage

3. Holding the cartridge by the sides, remove any protective tape that still might be on the contacts.

CAUTION: 

Do not touch the ink nozzles or the copper-colored electrical strip. Touching or trying to remove these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

Removing tape from the ink cartridge

4. Lightly dampen a lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then wipe the copper-colored contacts on the cartridge.

Cleaning the ink cartridge contacts

5. Lightly dampen a lint-free cloth or swab with distilled water, and then clean the electrical contacts in the carriage.

Cleaning the contacts in the carriage

6. Wait 10 minutes for the contacts to dry, and then reinsert the cartridge into its color-coded slot.

7. Repeat these steps for the other cartridge if it was indicated in the error message.

8. Close the door or lid to the cartridge access area.

If the error persists, clean the cartridge and carriage contacts a second time.

Try the single-cartridge mode

The printer you own can work in single-cartridge mode, wherein the printer will be able to print with one cartridge in the printer. Which will help us identify if its a cartridge issue or a printhead issue

To try single-cartridge mode follow the below steps:

• remove the black ink from the printer, leave the color in and try printing
  • then remove the color ink and, insert the black  in and try printing

If the issue persists, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your printer

Hope this helps

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

So, yeah.

I have done the q-tip swab, I have mentioned that I have replaced the cartridges, in actuality, 4 different times.

After I purchased my second printer( because I had bought extra cartridges) I dismantled the 1st one I had purchased.

I wiped and cleaned everything, the sensors, the ribbon, you name it.

This is a junk printer, I am hundreds of dollars out, and HP really doesn't care.

Last HP product for me to ever waste my money on.

HP Recommended

I’d recommend you contact HP Phone Support in your region regarding service options for your printer.

Follow the instructions below to reach them:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 

6)Fill the web-form and proceed further.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Jay you are trying so hard.

As stated, I dismantled my first one to see if I could rectify the issue. ( to no avail, and it is now in the landfill)

Also stated, I spend large amount of time out of town, my warranty is passed.

This does not change the fact that this is an inferior product.

The 1st printer may have passed about 40 sheets through it, the second one, has not seen 30 go through it.

But I will follow your suggestions

HP Recommended

Deskjet 3700 is a great product but I understand you have had bad experiences.

Do reach the team and let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Hope this helps!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.