Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
mfp 177fw
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Hi

I have an MFP 177fw. When scanning, I receive an error message saying document feeds jam. 

I have hard reset the printer, disconnecting the power cord. Also wiped clean the printer feeder.

But am still getting the error message. 

I have see others have tried to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer. Not sure if that worked, but how do you do this?

Can you help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@psharma997, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand you are not able to scan from the feeder. Make sure you have tried the steps mentioned in this document - 'Original Jam: Clear jam, and then press OK' Displays for the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M177fw Print...

If the error persists, we may perform a factory reset on the printer to resolve this issue.

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@psharma997, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand you are not able to scan from the feeder. Make sure you have tried the steps mentioned in this document - 'Original Jam: Clear jam, and then press OK' Displays for the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M177fw Print...

If the error persists, we may perform a factory reset on the printer to resolve this issue.

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, can one share the factory reset instructions with me as well? 
Color LaserJet Pro M177fw 
Many thanks in advance. 

br, 

J. 

HP Recommended

I have a brand new HP top feed printer/ scanner. The flatbed scanner and printer work fine. However, the feeder does not feed. It seems mechanical.

I have current Windows 10 driver, and re-installed the driver.

I have youtubed remedies but they are all for "paper jam". The error message says "paper jam" but the paper isn't jammed, it stops half way through (untorn).

Suggestions?

HP Laserjet Pro M148fdw

HP Recommended

@Blah20 

==============================================================

Welcome to the HP Community.

Be Aware:

Do not respond to individuals who post phone numbers or email addresses.

Do not post any private information in our public Community.

These people might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.

=====================================================

Brand new, just out of box printer is supposed to work.

Assuming the printer is unpacked completely (no bits of tape hiding in odd places),

Assuming the printer software is installed,

Finally...

Assuming the settings for the paper type and size are acceptable and correct for using the ADF,

Check what the printer thinks is happening.

What the printer can do:

Product Specifications for the HP LaserJet Pro MFP M148fdw (4PA42A)

Paper handling - ADF

Automatic document feeder capacity
Standard, 35 sheets
Media size (ADF)
A4/LTR/LGL
Media weight supported, ADF (metric)
70 to 90 g/m²
Media type and capacity, ADF
Up to 35 (9 kg plain paper) sheets

Next, check the printer setup for the paper and the Preferences

For example,

Check / Adjust / Retain the Paper at the Printer Display Panel

Open Printer Tray,

If you have not yet done so, add desired paper type

Wait a couple of seconds…

Close Tray

IF applicable for your printer:

Look for a message on the Printer Control / Display Panel,

Click Modify (wording varies), set the paper size and type, Click OK

Note:  Printer Display panel option is not applicable to printers that lack a printer display panel and might not be available on all printer models that do include a printer display panel.

Note 2 – Printer Display Panel > Adjusting the paper size:

If the size of your Paper Size is not in the Drop-down menu,

If the “custom” paper size is available in the list:

Select Custom (likely the last selection in the list)

And / Or

Embedded Web Server (EWS)

Note:  This option is not applicable to printers connected via a USB printer cable (no network connection).

If the printer is on the network,

If the EWS feature is supported on your printer,

Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to view / configure your printer.

NOTE:  Laser printer options in EWS are very different from those offered in InkJet Printers.

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Settings > Preferences > Tray and Paper Management

If applicable, check the Advanced section (at the bottom of the Tray and Paper Management menu)

Click Apply to save changes

NOTE:  If the size of the Paper Size is not in the Drop-down menu, Select Custom (likely the last selection in the list)

NOTE 2:  EWS is also available in HP Smart Windows and HP Smart Mobile > Settings > Advanced

Set the Preferences – Windows

NOTE:  This section is not applicable to Mobile Printing.

Printing Preferences are available directly from the driver and / or might be called "Printer Properties" / "Shortcuts" (or similar) from within printing software / applications.

Notes

• Generally, Ignore this section when not relevant – for example, when using Word > Mailings > Envelopes.
  • In the case of PDF / Image printing, Pre-set the Preferences (below) or set the Properties during the job setup.

Preferences / Envelopes

Regardless of what kind of printing you will do (later), make sure the Printing Preferences shortcut is set to "Everyday Printing" or something equally benign.  For example, don't leave the shortcut set to Booklet printing choices or other custom setups that are completely contrary to printing envelopes.  The least "best" choice is "Factory Defaults" - try to avoid that shortcut if you can do so.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer

Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default

1. Select and adjust settings in each category for the Media (kind of paper), source (tray), and paper size.

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

Left-Click on (your) Printer > Manage > Printing Preferences

Next

Tab Printing Shortcuts > Click / Highlight your preferred shortcut > Click Apply > Click OK to exit

NOTE - Make changes to a Shortcut

• Select a shortcut and adjust the settings for paper, source (tray), other settings / Tabs
  • Scan Menu for HP Scan >>  If there is a More > section, check / adjust settings in the sub-sections > Click OK to save sub-menu changes
  • If supported, save the edited shortcut or use “Save As” or “Create Custom Shortcut” to save as a new / different file name
  • Click OK to save the setup

=============================================================

What else?

If you cannot resolve the problem,

If you believe the issue is indeed mechanical,

See if you can open a case with HP Support before the weekend.

Submit a case for Warranty Repair to HP Support.

HP Support - Technical Support for Devices in Warranty

Reminder

Case submission to HP Support is available to those whose devices are still in Warranty.

For the rest of us, this is not an option.

HP Support does not generally provide free service for out-of-warranty devices.

Our Community is not HP Support; we do offer help free of charge.

Scroll to bottom > Ask the Community

Post New Question

NOTES

• If you wish to pay for out-of-warranty phone support, let us know and we will forward a request.  The request may - or may not - make a difference.
  • HP is not a "general" repair facility: Requests for out-of-warranty repairs are generally not accepted.
  • If the problem is hardware, if your device is in Warranty and you cannot submit your case to Support, let us know and we will forward a request.

HP Technical Support – Contact Information

Submit information / case online

Sign in or continue as a guest

Reminders

• HP Phone numbers you find on the Internet have likely been hijacked.
  • HP Support USA does not post public phone numbers.
  • HP Support USA requires online case submission - local contact options are displayed after the case is submitted.

Select a method and contact HP Support…

In Windows

Settings > System > About > (Support) Online support > Contact an HP Agent

OR

(In the HP Community)

Open homepage for  HP Community

At the top of the web page, hover mouse over Support

Beneath Support Resources > Contact Us

OR

Open website  HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

OR

Regional Links

USA / Canada

HP® Customer Support - USA

UK

HP® Customer Support - UK

OR

>>> Option - HP Support is on Facebook <<<

HP on Facebook

OR

Some regions in the World offer WhatsApp to connect with HP Support

NOTE - At this writing:  USA is not included in supported regions.

NOTE 2:  Submission Checks the device warranty status

Covered regions – minute 2:08

Video:    WhatsApp - HP Support

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Product Registration

Register your product during first setup or soon afterwards

READ >>     Register HP Product and Registration FAQ

Have a Care Pack Warranty that needs to be Registered?

HP Care Pack Registration Page

Warranty Check

Check the Warranty on your product

Warranty Check – Single or Multiple Devices

NOTE:  Warranty date is updated after purchase and registration of the device.

If the device is not registered, or if there are other issues, submit a Warranty Dispute form.

NOTE 2:  If the single-system-check fails to find your device, use the "multiple devices" method to

check single or multiple devices.

• If necessary, Select your Country on the main website page or at the bottom (click Flag)
  • Scroll down > To the right of Check multiple warranties, Click Continue
  • Enter the Serial Number and Country for one or more devices / systems to be checked
  • Check the box to verify you are "Not a robot"
  • Click Submit (at bottom of list entries)
  • When the page opens, Click View Details

Reminder: Online database results do not impact the actual contract.

Warranty Dispute

Excerpted: If you think the warranty details of your product are incorrect, submit a dispute through the HP warranty validation website.

HP Limited Warranty Statements (General Information)

Standard Warranty, that is, the warranty included with the device, typically covers hardware as explained in the Warranty document.  Optional Care Pack warranties differ by contract.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP LaserJet Pro MFP M148fdw 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Kumar, my HP M147fdw  top feeder isn't working.

I was able to get an envelop to go through but a full sheet stops halfway through. So I think it is mechancical. It says "paper jam" but the paper is not damaged. It just stops. Ideas? should I return it?

HP Recommended

@Blah20

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Clean the plastic and glass strips inside the document feeder with a soft, lint-free cloth sprayed with glass cleaner.

NOTE: 

Some printers ship with a document feeder cleaning cloth. If you have the cloth, load it into the document feeder and start a copy job to clean the scanner mechanism.

1. Turn the printer off, disconnect the power cord, and then remove the battery if your printer has one.

2. Depending on your printer model, open any top cover, document feeder tray, and scan document feeder cover.

3. Look for and remove any dust or debris from inside the document feeder.

4. Spray a soft, lint-free cloth with glass cleaner, and then wipe the scanner glass and the white strip on the underside of the document feeder until clean, dry, and streak-free.

CAUTION: 

To protect the interior printer parts, do not spray the cleaner directly on or into the printer.

5. Securely close any covers and trays that you opened.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the printer, and then try making a copy.

If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Clean the ADF rollers

If lines in copies persist when using the ADF, clean the rollers or separator pad.

1. Turn the printer off, disconnect the power cord, and then open the ADF cover.

2. Find any paper pick rollers and the separator pad inside the ADF. These parts have a rubber coating.

Paper pick rollers and separator pad in the ADF

3. Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth with distilled or filtered water, squeeze any excess liquid from the cloth, and then wipe any residue off the rollers and separator pad.

4. Leave the ADF cover open for two minutes to allow the parts to dry, and then close the cover.

5. Reconnect the power cord to the printer, and then try making a copy.

If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 3: Reset the printer and check the power source

Reset the printer to clear certain error states, and then check the power source to make sure the printer is getting enough power to operate the copier.

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer, disconnect the power cord from the power source, and then wait 30 seconds.

2. If you are using a power strip or multi-plug adapter, connect the cord directly to a wall outlet to make sure the printer is getting enough power.

3. Reconnect the power cord to the printer, and then try making a copy.

• If the issue persists, connect the printer to a different wall outlet to determine if the original outlet is causing the issue.

Try a firmware update too: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/ish_1776648-1643972-16

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.