Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 6958 All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I am copying a post made a couple of years ago because the original poster describes exactly what is happening with my printer which is the same as this poster's printer. Unfortunately, this poster never received a resolution. Hopefully, I will have better luck! I actually determined that 2.5 pages will be moved through the printer before the loading times out and it stops loading. I have to open the ADF and remove the 3rd sheet but the first 2 sheets have passed through fine...but unfortunately without any scanning or printing happening of what was pulled through the printer by the document feeder. Help!

The old post which perfectly describes my issue is:

My HP OfficeJet 6958 All-in-One has an issue when scanning documents via the automatic document feeder.

My document or documents feed fine, but the scanner does not seem to be able to detect the end of the document. When scanning a single page document the document feeder continues to run and run even after the single page has been fully scanned. When scanning a multi-page document, the document feeder picks up page after page successfully, but after the final page fully runs through the scanner, the document feeder continues to run and run. In both scenarios (single page or multiple pages), after the final page has run through the feeder, the feeder continues to run and ultimately results in an error.

On the small touchscreen of the printer itself, I get the following error message:

The document feeder was not able to pick up the original. Make sure the document feeder cover is closed completely, load the original in the document feeder, and try again.

As previously stated, these errors occur after the last page has been fed through the feeder. It looks like the scanner/feeder is having trouble identifying the end of the document.

I am using 8.5x11 paper and I have tried performing the reset by disconnecting the power for 60sec while the printer is on.

Many thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @LauraPrinter1 ,
Welcome to the HP Support Community!

The problem here is the sensor!
Check the function of the sensor. This sensor seems to be stuck.
The position and appearance of the sensor is different. So here are a few pictures:

Andr1611_0-1711890848941.png

Andr1611_1-1711890868423.png

Andr1611_2-1711890896648.png

Andr1611_3-1711890913786.png

Press the sensor down and release it again. Does the sensor come up again on its own? And what is displayed on the control panel?
If the sensor does not return to its original position on its own, take a close look at the sensor. Perhaps the sensor is just a little bent!

Maybe that will help you. I would be pleased to receive your feedback.

Kind Regards
Andr-1611

If my post resolved your problem please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
Or click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

I'm not an employee of HP, I'm as volunteer here.

Inquiries via private messages (PM) cannot be answered.
HP Recommended

I checked the little white tab to ensure it is moving freely and it seems to be. I push it down and it pops right back up. The first time I pushed the white tab down, I got a message "The original has jammed or the document feeder is dirty." That error message pops up now and again as I tested the tab and retried scanning multiple times. 

Another test I did was to raise the door to expose the white tab after the document had completed scanning but I could still hear the printer continuing to attempt to feed because it didn't know the document was done. I got no error message when the top door was open and I pushed on the white tab.  Ultimately, the feed function times out and I get the error message that the document hasn't been picked up. So, there is some sensor issue but I'm not sure it's the white tab. Here are some pictures of my printer.

Any other troubleshooting steps I should try? I can still scan from the glass but that's not helpful with a multipage document. 

LauraPrinter1_0-1712004209601.png

LauraPrinter1_1-1712004282780.png

HP Recommended

@LauraPrinter1 wrote:

... The first time I pushed the white tab down, I got a message "The original has jammed or the document feeder is dirty." ...

This is a message that I did not expect. I would have expected a message that should read something like: "Document inserted"

Since this message is not displayed, proceed as follows:

1. disconnect the printer from the computer, i.e. unplug all data cables and deactivate WLAN and WiFi.
  2. Switch off the printer using the on/off switch
  3. wait approx. 30 seconds and switch the printer back on again
  4. wait until the printer has completed its initialization process
  5. now insert a sheet into the ADF as far as it will go

What message is now shown on the display?

Which scanner program is being used? Take a screenshot of this.

Was the solution suggested, Link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Paper-Jams-Feed-Issues/HP-6958-Automatic-document-feeder-does-...

(without FW update) has already been carried out?

HP Recommended

1.  As directed, I took the printer off my wifi, turned off the printer by the on/off button (never knew where that was!), waited 30 seconds, turned it back on, let it get ready, re-attached it to my wifi, and loaded a piece of paper into the feeder.

2.  When I loaded the piece of paper into the feeder, it went 'ding' to let me know the piece of paper was properly seated. I received no error message when I loaded the piece of paper. Here is a picture of the window.

LauraPrinter1_0-1712427720994.jpeg

3. Instead of scanning, I just hit the copy button since it's more convenient than going back to my computer and setting up a scan. This is the error message I received (the same one I've always been receiving). 

LauraPrinter1_1-1712427850842.jpeg

4. To be thorough, I went ahead and also did a scan. I received the same error message on the printer itself and I have included the error messages I receive on my computer. The printer makes the 'ding' sound when I seat the document in the feeder and the paper gets pulled through with no issue although the feeder keeps running for several seconds after the document has finished feeding and then the error message above appears.

LauraPrinter1_2-1712428048826.jpeg

LauraPrinter1_3-1712428087443.jpeg

LauraPrinter1_4-1712428122928.jpeg

LauraPrinter1_5-1712428165653.jpeg

LauraPrinter1_6-1712428217424.jpeg

Error Failed to Load PDF Document

LauraPrinter1_7-1712428343209.jpeg

Scan Cancelled

LauraPrinter1_8-1712428387824.jpeg

The message (same as always) on the printer.

5. If I put the document on the printer glass and select Copy from the printer window or select Scan from my computer,

everything works fine. I did both actions right now to confirm this is still working properly.

I think that I have answered all of your questions. I hope you have some more ideas or troubleshooting steps. I'm very curious to know what the heck is happening!

6. If I can only use the glass for scanning, is there a setting where I can append pages to the job so I would get a multi-page document like I do when I use the feeder?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I think the complete printer software should be reinstalled.

Here's what you need to do:

1. Uninstall HP printer software, and then remove the printer from your Devices list. 
  2. Restart the PC
  3. Close all programs
  4. download only this complete package: HP OfficeJet 6950 All-in-One Print and Scan Driver and Accessories 
  5. Close all programs
  6. Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo > in folder Downloads double-click on the EXE,
    File name: Full_Webpack-40.15.1231_1-OJ6950_Full_Webpack.exe (116.3 MB)
  7. The installation was completed successfully, now you must ...
  8. Restart the System again
  9. Now the installation is complete.

Document error messages accurately, even better is to take a screenshot of it and upload here.

Kind Regards
Andr-1611

If my post resolved your problem please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
Or click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

HP Recommended

I'm a little confused by your suggestion to reinstall the software on my computer because I am having issues with the printer whether or not I am initiating the copy or scan function from my computer or from the printer itself. 

I can't even get the printer to copy a document if I feed the document into the printer using the document feeder and initiating the copy function on the printer screen. This requires no involvement with my computer and the software on my computer that remotely controls the printer function.

Please explain your troubleshooting logic with respect to reloading printer software on my computer.

HP Recommended

The ADF is defective and should be inspected on site by a printer technician.

@LauraPrinter1 wrote:

6. If I can only use the glass for scanning, is there a setting where I can append pages to the job so I would get

Yes, it should be possible if the resolution is set to 300 dpi or lower. Look out for this "+" sign, which indicates that another sheet can now be scanned.
More information can be found in the user guide and here:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/setup-user-guides/hp-officejet-6950-all-in-one-printer-series/m...

If this is not supported by EWS, then the complete software must be installed, see above.

Kind Regards
Andr-1611

HP Recommended

The software I  had been using to scan (which I accessed through the printer IP address) didn't appear to have the '+' option. I ended up downloading the HP Smart app onto my laptop and when I scanned using  that (versus accessing scanning via the IP address), I was able to add a page when scanning from the glass. I didn't have to uninstall anything or delete my printer from my laptop. Everything worked by downloading the HP Smart app so I'm good to go to scan multiple page documents from the glass and I don't have to buy a new printer for now.

I didn't know what EWS meant in your reply so I just googled something like "how do I scan multiple pages from the glass on my HP printer" and I ended up finding a link to the HP Smart app.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.