Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Photo 7134

My daughter has a HP ENVY Photo 7134. A while ago she encountered a paper jam while printing photos (I believe) and she was probably a bit too forceful when removing the paper from inside the printer. Since then, whenever the printer is switched on it displays the following message: 'The print carriage cannot move. Open the cartridge access door, clear any paper jam or obstruction, and select OK'.

There is clearly no paper remaining within the printer. Frustrated, she brought the printer to me in the hope that her mechanically-minded dad could fix it. I have powered up the printer and run it through the set up process. At start up, the gears within the printer start to rotate, and there are the familiar clicking sounds coming from the cartridges. The print cartridges are then shunted to the middle of the rail where they sit for a few seconds while the gears at either end of the carriage continue to rotate back and forth. The cartridges are then shunted to the left hand end of the carriage at which point there are a couple of clicks, the cartridges jerk a little to the right, and then 'The Print Carriage cannot move' message appears. Perversely, a light finger touch enables the cartridges to be easily moved all the way back to the right-hand side.

My daughter was told that there is some mechanical fault, but I have been unable to identify any breakage or disturbance of mechanical elements. Hope someone can help me solve this issue before Christmas! Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@timz43, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue.

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

If you have already performed the steps from the document  'Carriage Jam' or 'E3' Error Displays and the issue persists, it could be a hardware failure.

Please reach out to HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Since posting the problem with my daughter's HP Envy printer, I have made several enquiries, and met with some surprising answers.

Firstly, I took the printer to a local printer/cartridge seller (who also does repairs) to see what could be done. Having looked at the printer I was told that there was something missing from within the cartridge compartment. It was described as a a thin plastic 'guide' which sits behind the carriage rail, and in the region of the belt drive for the cartridge carriage. Maybe this was inadvertently removed when my daughter was clearing the paper jam. I was then told that HP do not supply 'small' replacement components, as it is simply not financially viable, and that the only option was to scrap this printer. Somewhat horrified I then spoke to a number of commercial printer repairers, and once again the responses were equally, and depressingly similar. It seems it is not worth while anyone spending time to repair what appears to be a minor issue for what would otherwise appear to be a fully functioning domestic inkjet printer. The message I took away was that these domestic printers are so 'cheap' nowadays that the simple answer is just to scrap them. This strikes me as absolutely appalling and does nothing to help preserve our planet.

HP Recommended

@timz43

We shall escalate this issue to the concerned team.

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.