Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Envy 5000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased an Envy 5000 printer. Using a Windows 10 laptop. Have not had any issues until I tried to print a normal size envelope, 4 1/8" x  9 1/2". I clearly set these dimensions under the custom size since this particular size is not in the printer default list. Every time I load an envelope and try to print it, I receive the error message "The paper size detected by the printer does not match the paper size selected for the print job". Getting very frustrated. I could have printed 50 envelops on my Lexmark in the time I've spent trying to print one envelope on this printer. No way to override the error. Only choice available cancels the job.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@RCS3942 

Edits - Add Custom Envelope Example (near end of message)

The setting you are looking for is "#10 envelope" (wording could be slightly different).

You are correct, this is not a custom envelope size.

Reference #10 Envelope Size: What is a #10 Envelope and How Big is it?

In general, the size of a standard number 10 envelope is 4 1/8 inches high by 9 1/2 inches long

No details on exactly what you are doing...

The following collection of suggestions is based on general setup for this type of envelope.

It includes an example of creating the envelope in Word > Mailings > Envelopes.

NOTE:  If you are using a custom Word document / template to create your own envelope, let me know and I will post what I have for that subject.

Product Specifications for the HP ENVY 5020 All-in-One Printer (M2U91B)

Standard input capacity (envelopes)
Up to 10
Output capacity
Up to 25 sheets
Media sizes supported (metric)
A4; A5; B5; DL; C6; A6
Media sizes supported (U.S. standard)
Letter; Legal; 4 x 6 in; 5 x 7 in; 8 x 10 in; No. 10 envelopes
Media sizes, custom (metric)
76.2 x 127 to 216 x 594 mm
Media sizes, custom (U.S. standard)
3 x 5 to 8.5 x 23.38 in

Remove other paper from the printer tray.

Load the envelopes into the printer according to the instructions in the  User Guide

Pages 13-14

Pay attention to orientation.

Tell the printer about the paper in the printer.

Check / Adjust / Retain the Paper at the Printer Display Panel

Note:  This option is not applicable to printers that lack a printer display panel and may not be available on all printer models that do include a printer display panel.

Open Printer Tray,

If you have not yet done so, add desired paper type

Wait a couple of seconds…

Close Tray

IF applicable for your printer:

Look for a message on the Printer Control / Display Panel,

Click Modify (wording varies), set the paper size and type, Click OK

NOTE

If the size of your Paper Size is not in the Drop-down menu,

If the selection is available in the list:

Select Custom (likely the last selection in the list)

And / Or

Embedded Web Server (EWS)

Note:  This option is not applicable to printers connected via a USB printer cable (no network connection).

If the printer is on the network,

If the EWS feature is supported on your printer,

Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to view / configure your printer.

NOTE:  Laser printer options in EWS are very different from those offered in InkJet Printers.

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Settings > Preferences > Tray and Paper Management

If applicable, check the Advanced section (at the bottom of the Tray and Paper Management menu)

Click Apply to save changes

NOTE:  If the size of the Paper Size is not in the Drop-down menu, Select Custom (likely the last selection in the list)

NOTE:  EWS is also available in HP Smart

Set the Preferences - Windows

Note Ignore this section when not relevant – for example, when using Word > Mailings > Envelopes

Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer

Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default

1. Select and adjust settings in each category for the Media (kind of paper), source (tray), and paper size.

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

Left-Click on (your) Printer > Manage > Printing Preferences

Next

Tab Printing Shortcuts > Click / Highlight your preferred shortcut > Click Apply > Click OK to exit

NOTE - Make changes to a Shortcut

• Select a shortcut and adjust the settings for paper, source (tray), other settings / Tabs
  • Scan Menu for HP Scan >>  If there is a More > section, check / adjust settings in the sub-sections > Click OK to save sub-menu changes
  • If supported, save the edited shortcut or use “Save As” or “Create Custom Shortcut” to save as a new / different file name
  • Click OK to save the setup

==========================================================================

Open a new, blank Word document

Mailings > Envelopes

Set up for the #10 envelope size.

Be wary of the Feed options - correct in the settings if necessary.

Example

Word > Mailings > Envelope - #10

Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_10_2Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_10_2

What if?

Custom Envelope Size

Assuming the printer supports custom media sizes, a Custom envelope is usually possible.

Caveat:

Note that there are "hidden" size restrictions - for example, envelope dimensions that are "too small" or "not allowed" cannot be forced.  An incompatible entry will "default" to an acceptable size dictated by the software / printer and not according to what you want.

Example - Custom Envelope - Incompatible Size Results

Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_Custom_1Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_Custom_1

Example of a Custom Envelope setup - Word > Mailings > Envelopes

Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_7x5_2Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_7x5_2

References / Resources

Adobe Reader DC – Needed Whether You Use It or Not

If you have not done so,

Reinstall / Update your PDF Reader (Adobe Reader DC /Optional  Foxit Reader)

HINT:  Watch out for and UNCHECK unwanted extra software

NOTE:  Adobe Reader DC software should be installed even if you do not normally open / view / print PDF files directly from the Adobe Reader DC software.

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY 5000 All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

To accept the answer, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I have the same problem except that the printer is an HP OfficeJet Pro 6978.  This was not a problem prior to buying and installing my new Dell laptop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.