Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks

I have set up my no. 1 tray on my HP laser Jet Pro MFP M281fdw for 65# paper.  It continues to jam.  It also happens on my no. 2 tray as well.  It appears my printer will only successfully take 20# regular paper.  I can't seem to get any guidance from HP (no real people to talk to and their virtual is worthless).  Can anyone give me some cogent thoughts on how to fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks - obviously I was pushing the limit on the HP Laserjet.  When I bought it I was told it could handle the 65# cardstock.  Clearly I was misinformed.  But it does work great with photo paper so all is not lost!

Have a great day!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Oilpainter45 

Perhaps the paper weight is not compatible / supported.

Perhaps the selected Media (kind of paper) is not supported in that paper weight.

Specifications

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M278-M281 - Technical Specifications

Paper Weights > Page 5

and

Product Specifications for the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw (T6B82A)

standard)
3 x 5 to 8.5 x 14 in
Media types
Paper (bond, brochure, colored, glossy, heavy, letterhead, light, photo, plain, preprinted, prepunched, recycled, rough), transparencies, labels, envelopes, cardstock
Media weight supported (metric)
60 to 163 g/m² (Uncoated/Matte, recommended), however up to 175 g/m² Postcards and 200 g/m² HP Matte is allowed in the driver; 60 to 163 g/m² (Coated/Glossy, recommended), however up to 175 g/m² Postcards and 220 g/m² HP Glossy is allowed in the driver.
Media weight supported (U.S. standard)
16 to 43 lb (Uncoated/Matte, recommended), however up to 47 lb Postcards and 53 lb HP Matte is allowed in the driver; 16 to 43 lb (Coated/Glossy, recommended), however up to 47 lb Postcards and 59 lb HP Glossy is allowed in the driver.

References / Resources

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M278-M281 - User Guide

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon-Fur - thanks for your timely reply.  I'm right at the upper limit with the 175 g. card stock.  I'm using that so I can print large photos on both sides without them showing through.  That's why I bought this printer.  It appears to be challenging for it to pick up the paper.  I've reset it and it initially printed about 3 sheets (I've been printing one side, then putting it back into the printer again to print the other side).  After about 3 sheets it started acting up again and jammed.

I've finally given up on the HP for this card stock and will switch over to my Epson Inkjet which has no problem handling the various sizes of paper.  And it can handle paper either for Inkjet or Laserjet, so I can at least use the paper I bought specifically for the Laserjet.  I'm not overly happy with the HP at this point.

HP Recommended

@Oilpainter45 

You are welcome.

Yes, use the tool (printer) best suited to the particular job.

I have always used HP OfficeJet Pro series that support a variety of Media and  usually provide high quality photo printing results on supported Media.

Stay Safe.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks - obviously I was pushing the limit on the HP Laserjet.  When I bought it I was told it could handle the 65# cardstock.  Clearly I was misinformed.  But it does work great with photo paper so all is not lost!

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.