Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The printer always asks for paper to be inserted into Tray2 every time it has a print job. I press Ok on the printer panel and it prints.. I have to do this for every page

I suspect it is something to do with printer not detecting paper in Tray 2 (default tray).

I have ensured that the paper guides in Tray 2 are in the correct position for the paper (A4). 

This makes no difference. Any clues please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have the Tray 2 setup as "Intermediate 85 -95gsm" I am using fresh paper @ 90GSM. On the Windows driver the same paper option is selected.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Make sure that paper type is properly set both on the printer and on the device you are printing from.

What is the exact message on getting on your printer screen?

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply

It says "Load paper in Tray 2 A4, or Press OK to use available media"

Pressing Ok makes the printer print correctly. However I have to do this for each page

I have made sure that the tabs holding the A4 paper are in the correct place

It always used to work

HP Recommended

On the front screen go to paper setting and check for tray 2 is set the paper size to A4 and paper type to plain ( or any type) . Both paper size and type must match if one in mismatch you get a message like yours.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thanks, yes I have checked this , it is set to A4 for Tray 2 

HP Recommended

OK for paper size, what about the paper type you need to check that too.

Both paper size and paper type must match those are 2 conditions, you got one sorted the paper size (A4) you are left with paper type.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

I have the Tray 2 setup as "Intermediate 85 -95gsm" I am using fresh paper @ 90GSM. On the Windows driver the same paper option is selected.

HP Recommended

Set it to plain paper both on the printer and on the computer, the difference between plain paper 80gsm and your 90gsm shouls not cause any issues.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

thankyou so  much. I changed the paper type on Windows from Intermediate to a random one. It would not print. I then changed it back to Intermediate, to match the printer and now, at least it all seems well. Thanks for the pointer. It has been bugging me for a while. 🙂

HP Recommended

so what about the HP envy 7155 sometimes it says paper is too long, then most of the time it says the tray is empty when the paper is actually in there.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.