cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Solved!

not detecting paper in tray 2

HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The printer always asks for paper to be inserted into Tray2 every time it has a print job. I press Ok on the printer panel and it prints.. I have to do this for every page

I suspect it is something to do with printer not detecting paper in Tray 2 (default tray).

I have ensured that the paper guides in Tray 2 are in the correct position for the paper (A4). 

This makes no difference. Any clues please?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 11
Level 11
4,459 4,448 523 701
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Make sure that paper type is properly set both on the printer and on the device you are printing from.

What is the exact message on getting on your printer screen?

My profile on LinkedIn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply

It says "Load paper in Tray 2 A4, or Press OK to use available media"

Pressing Ok makes the printer print correctly. However I have to do this for each page

I have made sure that the tabs holding the A4 paper are in the correct place

It always used to work

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11
Level 11
4,459 4,448 523 701
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

On the front screen go to paper setting and check for tray 2 is set the paper size to A4 and paper type to plain ( or any type) . Both paper size and type must match if one in mismatch you get a message like yours.

My profile on LinkedIn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, yes I have checked this , it is set to A4 for Tray 2 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11
Level 11
4,459 4,448 523 701
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK for paper size, what about the paper type you need to check that too.

Both paper size and paper type must match those are 2 conditions, you got one sorted the paper size (A4) you are left with paper type.

My profile on LinkedIn

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the Tray 2 setup as "Intermediate 85 -95gsm" I am using fresh paper @ 90GSM. On the Windows driver the same paper option is selected.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11
Level 11
4,459 4,448 523 701
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Set it to plain paper both on the printer and on the computer, the difference between plain paper 80gsm and your 90gsm shouls not cause any issues.

My profile on LinkedIn

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thankyou so  much. I changed the paper type on Windows from Intermediate to a random one. It would not print. I then changed it back to Intermediate, to match the printer and now, at least it all seems well. Thanks for the pointer. It has been bugging me for a while. 🙂

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation