Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just bought a HP Envy 6542e printer. Do I install the software and drivers onto my laptop before I hookup and setup the printer? Cannot find if I setup the printer and power on or install the software and drivers first.

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Support Community.

Refer to this example for unbox and install of HP Smart to onboard the printer. Note that you will need a HP ID account (need to create an account if you do not have one) and then sign in,  Activate HP+ to enjoy the free months of ink & enroll to a print plan (you will not be charged until the trial ends)  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_8fFcFSQPg

This printer is similar to the one you have except that it is without the document feeder.

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Do you leave the power on all the time or turn it off when the printer is not in use?

HP Recommended

Hi @grefra 

You can leave the printer on if you print regularly.

If the Edge lighting is bothering you, ty to change the brightness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkprngs48E4

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

Only print about 10 pages a month, so guess I will turn it off unless needed.

HP Recommended

Hi @grefra11 

Just checking if you're able to setup the printer successfully?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I just watched the video, and unpacked the printer. Going to sign in and download the drivers and software. Sure hope it goes well. I will post back and let you know.

HP Recommended

I am confused, watched two videos, one says power on the printer and connect the USD to Router, the other video says install HP Smart and you do not install the USB to router until you get the prompt for your password from the software for WIFI network, do you know which is correct???

HP Recommended

Hi,

Install HP Smart app and use it to connect to the printer.  Do not use any USB cable. 

Hope that helps. 

HP Recommended

so I do not need to connect the printer to the router?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.