Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5030 All-in-One Printer

I have never had an issue with my printer, but suddenly, I cannot delete, pause or resume a printing job, it's telling me I need to be the Administrator to do that.  How do I "assign" myself the Admin rights?  I downloaded the scanning app over the weekend and the problem started after that (might not be related, but I feel this isn't a coincidence...).  Thank you

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @CarolineLW4,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like your issue may be related to Windows permissions, especially if you're using a computer with Windows as its operating system. The problem you're experiencing, where you need administrator privileges to manage printing jobs, can sometimes occur after installing new software (like your scanning app) due to changes in system settings or permissions. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you resolve this issue:

Step 1: Verify Printer Software

• First, ensure that the printer software and drivers are up-to-date. Printer issues can sometimes be resolved by simply updating or reinstalling the printer software. Visit the HP website, find your printer model, and download the latest drivers and software.

Step 2: Check User Account

• Ensure that you're logged in with an administrator account. You can check your account type by going to Settings > Accounts > Your info in Windows.

Step 3: Run Printer Software as Administrator

• Locate the printer software or scanning app you installed. Right-click on its shortcut and select Properties.
  • Go to the Compatibility tab.
  • Check the box that says Run this program as an administrator.
  • Click Apply and then OK.

Step 4: Assigning Administrator Rights

If you're not using an administrator account or if your account seems to have lost its administrative privileges, you can try the following steps to assign yourself admin rights:

For Windows 10/11:

1. Open Control Panel: Press the Windows key, type "Control Panel," and press Enter.
  2. Change account type: Navigate to User Accounts > User Accounts > Manage another account. You may need to click on Change account type if you're directed straight to the account you're using.
  3. Select your account: Click on your account.
  4. Change the account type: Click on Change the account type, choose Administrator and then click Change Account Type.

After ensuring you have administrator rights, try managing your print jobs again.

Step 5: Use Printer Troubleshooter

• Windows offers a printer troubleshooter that can automatically detect and fix some problems. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot. Select Printer, and then run the troubleshooter.

Step 6: Review Recent Software Changes

• If the issue began after installing the scanning app, consider uninstalling it to see if the problem resolves. If it does, there may be a conflict between the app and your printer settings.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.