Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 5055
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Envy 5055 printer, which I've been using under Windows 10 since last summer.  Today, on a lark, I let Microsoft Store update the HP Smart app.  Now when I run the app, everything seems to work OK, except that it says "Print status unknown" at the top of its Home page.

Nothings seems to help.  I've tried rebooting the computer, cycling power on the printer itself, resetting the app via Windows Settings, telling it to forget the printer and then adding the printer back, uninstalling the app (completely) and re-installing it from Microsoft Store.  Pesky thing still says "Printer status unknown".

The HP Smart app version is 126.1.14.0.  I'm running Windows 10 20H2 64-bit on a Dell desktop of very recent vintage.  The printer is connected via WiFi.

To  repeat, the app seems to have no trouble actually TALKING to the printer.  I can scan, access Advanced Settings, etc.

So how can the printer status be "unknown"?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Today Microsoft Store offered an update for HP Smart.

Downloaded it.  Voila -- no more "Printer status unknown"!

The new HP Smart version number is 126.2.222.0

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

A tiny bit of add'l data:  When HP Smart app is saying "Printer status unknown" at the top of its Home page, there's a "-" (minus sign) next to that phrase, which flickers continuously, as though the app is trying over and over to determine the printer's status.

HP Recommended

@PoorSlob 

====================================================================

Welcome to the HP Community.

Be Aware:

Do not respond to individuals who include phone numbers or email addresses in public posts.

Do not respond to individuals who ask you to provide private information in a public Post.

These people might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.

====================================================================

The Windows version of the HP Smart app updated recently (2-Apr-2021).

The following might be relevant to the Envy (and your OS) and is perhaps even more relevant to a printer that syncs Shortcuts (formally Smart Tasks) to the printer (for example, OfficeJet Pro 9010 / 9020 series).

Try / Consider

If you have any other device, for example, PC / Mac / Mobile, that uses HP Smart,

Open that device,

Open HP Smart on that device,

Make sure the application is running the current version,

Make sure the application is logged into your HP Account (as you would do for MacOS / PC / Mobile version of the application),

Make sure the application on that device has "added" your printer to HP Smart.

Note that if the application was not initially logged in (on that device), the app may temporarily "act like" you need to add-a-printer.  When the application fully logs in (to your HP Account) and you accept whatever settings for which it asks for information, the application will likely find your printer.

What else?

Try..

Log out of your HP Account within the application (on each device on which the application is installed),

Close HP Smart

Wait several seconds for the processes in the background to fully close,

Open HP Smart

Once the application is logged in (on any "other" device), the printer is recognized,

Go back to your HP Smart application on the (original) PC and check the printer's status.

Hopefully, the printer is now "Ready" on that device, too.

Will that work?

Maybe - it has worked for my Windows PC (Windows 10 20H2) and a companion PC that was stuck on "printer status unknown".

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY 5055 All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

An older version of HP Smart, 122.3.838.0, which I have running on my Dell laptop under Windows 10, has no trouble.  It says the printer is "Ready".  (It's the same printer.)

HP Recommended

@PoorSlob 

OK.

If I think of anything that accommodates the mixed version environment, I'll post back.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Today Microsoft Store offered an update for HP Smart.

Downloaded it.  Voila -- no more "Printer status unknown"!

The new HP Smart version number is 126.2.222.0

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.