Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Office jet 8610
iOS

I needed to print from iOS, and tried selecting “Print” from the Share icon, but got a “No AirPrint printers found” error.  I eventually solved this by installing the HP Smart app, detecting my HP 8610 by its 192.168.1.36 IP address, then choosing “Print with HPSmart” from the Share icon.

Researching AirPrint printers led me to opening my HP 8610’s Embedded Web Server (EWS) by using that IP as my browser URL, where I discovered it is indeed compatible by showing AirPrint status was already “On” at

https://192.168.1.36/#hId-pgAirPrint. So iOS should have offered my HP 8610 as an AirPrint printer. 

Just to be sure, I uninstalled HP Smart and (even with the above page open and still showing AirPrint Status on) my HP 8610 could no longer be used.  I had to reinstall HP Smart, which still could not detect it except by IP address, after which printing was restored, but only via the “Print with HP Smart” choice under the Share icon.  Any app or web page offering printing still gives the “No AirPrint Printer Found” error, which is a problem whenever the Share icon is not available.

so, how do I get iOS to recognize and accept my compatible HP 8610 as an AirPrint printer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I posted this same question on the Apple community page and received a helpful response from LotusPilot. Although not following his guidance exactly, he gave me enough helpful information for me to solve the problem.

What actually worked for me (some possibly not necessary) was to do the following:

1. Went into router LAN settings and added static [Personal Information Removed] address using the MAC for the printer, just to avoid any issue with being reassigned a new IP later that might lose the HP Smart connection.
  2. Went into the printer's Setup / Network Setup / Restore Network Defaults.
  3. Powered off printer, and pulled plug for 30 seconds before restarting.
  4. Reconnected printer WiFi, bypassing extender SSID to use weaker choice from upstairs router.
  5. Confirmed printer is now on static [Personal Information Removed].
  6. Uninstalled HP Smart from iPhone and rebooted iPhone.
  7. Opened that Apple Community page with Safari on iPhone.
  8. Went to Share icon and scrolled down to select "Print."
  9. When Printer Options appeared, chose "Select Printer>" where "HP OfficejetPro 8610 [5C8CEC]" is now available.
  10. Printing was now successful!!!
  11. Confirmed printer now also shows up on all other iOS devices under Share icon.
  12. THEN: Opened original web page on iPhone, where the "Print" link (https://natashaskitchen.com/wprm_print/recipe/54951) on that page had failed yesterday, starting this whole issue.
  13. This time the printer showed up in the pop-up window, where printing worked from my iPhone without needing to use Share icon. Also no longer need HP Smart app. Ta-Da!!

Bottom line, I don't know how many of steps 1-6 above were actually needed. But I am a happy camper.

So, in addition to LotusPilot, thank you to everyone that gave this any thought.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I posted this same question on the Apple community page and received a helpful response from LotusPilot. Although not following his guidance exactly, he gave me enough helpful information for me to solve the problem.

What actually worked for me (some possibly not necessary) was to do the following:

1. Went into router LAN settings and added static [Personal Information Removed] address using the MAC for the printer, just to avoid any issue with being reassigned a new IP later that might lose the HP Smart connection.
  2. Went into the printer's Setup / Network Setup / Restore Network Defaults.
  3. Powered off printer, and pulled plug for 30 seconds before restarting.
  4. Reconnected printer WiFi, bypassing extender SSID to use weaker choice from upstairs router.
  5. Confirmed printer is now on static [Personal Information Removed].
  6. Uninstalled HP Smart from iPhone and rebooted iPhone.
  7. Opened that Apple Community page with Safari on iPhone.
  8. Went to Share icon and scrolled down to select "Print."
  9. When Printer Options appeared, chose "Select Printer>" where "HP OfficejetPro 8610 [5C8CEC]" is now available.
  10. Printing was now successful!!!
  11. Confirmed printer now also shows up on all other iOS devices under Share icon.
  12. THEN: Opened original web page on iPhone, where the "Print" link (https://natashaskitchen.com/wprm_print/recipe/54951) on that page had failed yesterday, starting this whole issue.
  13. This time the printer showed up in the pop-up window, where printing worked from my iPhone without needing to use Share icon. Also no longer need HP Smart app. Ta-Da!!

Bottom line, I don't know how many of steps 1-6 above were actually needed. But I am a happy camper.

So, in addition to LotusPilot, thank you to everyone that gave this any thought.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.