Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet Pro 8720
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

I purchased a new iMac with the Apple M1 chip, and my HP Office Jet Pro 8720 no longer works.  I checked and there was no software installed so I went to HP which in turn gave me a link to ‘Install HP Smart’ which took me to Apple App Store HP Smart for Desktop.  I downloaded that and it shows as ‘open’ – I know that because I have been sent back multiple times.  I have run the HP Network Configuration Page and all is good on that report.  From what diagnostics I have gotten it says that it needs software downloaded.  So since the HP Smart for Desktop is not loading the needed software I am looking for a different source.

Thanks,

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@JLL-1509

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Let's try removing HP Smart App:

• 1.) Open Finder and click Applications
  • 2.) Move HP Smart App to Trash and clear the Trash.
  • 3.) Open Finder then click Go and Click Home.
  • 4.) Click View then Click Show View Options. Check the box Show Library Folder.
  • The change is instantaneous and the Library folder will immediately become visible.
  • 5.) Open Library and Open Application Support, move HP Smart folder to Trash and clear the Trash
  • 6.) Download and install HP Smart App from here.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, but the download link didn't work.  I think I have it 'almost' working or at least part time, but still working on getting it to scan.

HP download.png

HP Recommended

@JLL-1509

Thank you for posting back. 

Let's try this: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-pro-8720-all-in-one-printer-series/790...

Keep me posted! 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, but it loops back to the Apple app.  I do have the printer operating with somewhat of a work around.  But I still can not get the HP Easy Scan to work.

HP Recommended

@JLL-1509

Firstly, let's uninstall the old version of HP Smart installed from the HP website.

• If installed from HP.com please delete from /Users/Username/Library/Application Support/HP Smart. Then delete HP Smart from the Applications folder and reinstall from the Mac App Store.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Smart app does run correctly and I am able to print.

HP Easy Scan app does not run.  The program launches and when scan is pressed it comes up ‘Preparing to scan… and the light/dark blue line continues to run.  I have tried the scan app with my user name (I am an administrator) with Read & Write privileges, as system with Read & Write privileges, and as administrator – all with the same results. 

I did remove the HP Easy scan app (along with all related files via the Cleaner One app and then reinstalled it with the same results.

HP Recommended

@JLL-1509

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did check the link you gave to customer support and my printer is out of warranty and they suggest I contact HP Support Community.  I am able to print.  I am not able to scan.  HP Easy scan just sits there and will not run.

Thanks for your help.  I will wait a few weeks to see if there is any new software that will solve the problem.  If there isn’t I will be forced to throw away a working printer to be able to get one that will scan.

HP Recommended

@JLL-1509

If the app was downloaded from the Mac App Store, follow these steps:

Please remove /Users/Username/Library/Containers/HP Smart/containers.list and then launch HP Smart from the Applications folder and go through the setup again. 

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your Mac.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on Mac

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update and install any available update.

Download the latest version of the HP Smart app from the app store.

If the issue persists, use the AirPrint driver to print from the Mac to check if this works fine - HP printer setup (Apple AirPrint for Mac) 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.