Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP M255DW
Microsoft Windows XP

Hello-

I purchased an HP M255DW color laser printer after researching posts on this forum that indicated it would work with a PC that was running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 installed. I tried to install the print drivers, but received the following error message during the installation:

A file that is required cannot be installed because the cabinet file c:\DOCUME~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\7zS47F9\LM255x86.cab has an invalid digital signature. This may indicate that the cabinet file is corrupt.

The digital signature for your software could not be verified. To fix, please connect the Internet or run Windows Update and restart the device install.

The PC in question cannot be connected to the internet, and I cannot run Windows Update on it. I tried both the full driver version as well as the basic driver version for the laser printer with the same results.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

The certificate is valid for Windows XP PCs with Servicve pack 3 installed, such an error would occur due to missing crucial Windows Updates for the operating system, due to using a much newer software.

Installing the latest OS updates would be the first need to resolve such an installation error< I do suggest finding a way to temporarily connect the computer to the internet and check for available updates.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Shlomil-

Thanks for the reply. I did check/verify that the PC in question does in fact have WinXP with Service Pack 3 installed. I can't connect the device to the internet to have it check for updates, so it sounds like I might be stuck.

Thanks again for the reply.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.