Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro M227fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had this printer (M227fdw) for a couple of years and been very happy with it, but recently upgraded the computer from the old windows 7 system I'd originally installed on to a new computer running windows 10. The same basic set-up process installed the new HP Smart program, instead of the HP scanning software that was automatically installed on the old computer when I bought the printer. I loved that software, which had a lot of complex configuration options and was focused entirely on scanning, which is what I need the software for (never had any issue printing or faxing directly from MS Office, Acrobat Reader, or Firefox). Can I still get and use that earlier scanning software on windows 10 somehow?

:edit: for the life of me I can't remember what the old software was called, but as I said, it was HP software that was automatically installed along with the drivers.

:edit2: this was initially a repost attempt where I tried to be calmer (original was longer and was venting my frustration), as the original was removed as "spam/inappropriate," but the original has been restored now, making this a duplicate.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

So, finally went searching for others with the same issue, like I probably should've done from the start. Found this question https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/HP-Scan-software/m-p/6228494

which has a link to the HP Scan Extended software. Went to install it, and found it was already installed at some point? So I tried just running it, but it just says it can't find the scanner, with another dialogue box behind that saying the scanner is already in use? Tried repairing the installation, no change. Tried uninstalling HP Smart, thinking maybe it is the other application, that required a reboot. No longer getting "scanner is in use" message, but still just getting "HP Imaging Device not found." Uninstalled and reinstalled HP Scan Extended, still not found.

It is still working fine as a printer, and I tried rebooting the printer itself, but no result.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.