Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envt 4520 series all-in-one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Was mad enough to download Windows 10 Constructors Update, which crippled my MS Surface Pro 3 tablet. Among other things, printer would no longer work. Used facility to revert to earlier Win 10 build, which cured everything except printer. Uninstalled printer driver and associated HP software, removed printer from Device list. Every subsequent attempt to download new driver from HP results in message "Can not open output file". What can I do to get my printer driver back and working? (The printer connection is wireless.)

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi! @MicrosoftMug, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you are trying to install the drivers you are getting Can not open output file error on your printer.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any changes on your Printer?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Let's open the %temp% folder and follow these steps (hold down the Windows Logo key (  ) on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box,  type %temp%)
Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)
Open folder Util
Open folder CCC
If you have an HP computer run the L3uninstall.exe. If you have a non-HP computer run the L4uninstall.exe
When the uninstall has completed restart the computer
Follow these steps to reset the registry settings and options for Windows Installer.
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type msiexec /unreg, and then click OK.
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type msiexec /regserver, and then click  OK
Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools
Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads .html
Now we can restart the computer, download the software again and try to install again.

Install the printer drivers using this link.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have 17 folders that start with 7z 

HP Recommended

Oh no! i only have 5 folders starting with 7z

HP Recommended

@ayos_shantanu

Hello,
Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately, based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. I recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/postpage

To be more helpful with your post, you may add key information if you wish:
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A

2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit

3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows

4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.

If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message.

Thank you.

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.