Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about cartridges, Click here to check it out!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Other

My macbook air is unable to find my HP printer.  It was hit and miss before I changed internet providers now I can't print anything from any of my devices (iPhone, Laptop or iPad) except my Mac Desktop which I have to have wired in.  I've loaded all the required drivers and still cannot find my printer.  I get a message that no devices can be found.  The printer is a HP Officejet 6700 Premium.  I'm running macOS Sonoma version 14.6 on my laptop and have an older MAC desktop running macOS Mojave version 10.14.6.  I've even tried to hardwire the printer to the laptop and it still won't find the printer.  As I've mentioned the desktop will work only when it's hardwired.  Any help would be appreciated...

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Ronk357,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It seems that the issue you're encountering could be related to the change in your network setup after switching internet providers. Here's a step-by-step guide to troubleshoot and hopefully resolve the issue with your HP OfficeJet 6700 Premium printer.

Ensure Printer is Connected to WiFi

• Reconnect to the new network: Since you switched internet providers, your printer might still be trying to connect to your old network. Ensure the printer is connected to your new WiFi network by:
    • On the printer's control panel, go to SetupNetworkWireless Setup Wizard.
    • Select your new WiFi network and enter the password.

Assign a Static IP Address

• Network stability: Sometimes, printers have difficulty maintaining a stable connection when the router assigns dynamic IPs. Assigning a static IP address to your printer can help.
    • Access your router’s web interface by typing its IP address into a browser.
    • Find the section for connected devices and assign a static IP to your printer.

Reset Printer Settings

• Reset the network settings on the printer to clear any old configurations:
    • Go to SetupNetworkRestore Network Defaults.

Check macOS Firewall Settings

• Ensure your macOS firewall is not blocking the printer:
    • Go to System PreferencesSecurity & PrivacyFirewall.
    • Make sure the printer isn’t being blocked. Add it to the Firewall Exceptions list if needed.

Re-add Printer on MacBook Air

• After resetting and reconnecting the printer to the new network, try re-adding it to your MacBook Air:
    1. Go to System PreferencesPrinters & Scanners.
    2. Click the + button to add a printer.
    3. Wait for the printer to appear in the list, and add it.
    4. If it doesn’t show up, try adding it by IP Address:
      1. On the same Add Printer screen, click IP.
      2. Enter the printer’s IP address (which you can find on the printer’s network information page).
      3. Use the HP Jetdirect - Socket protocol.
I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hardwired Connection Troubleshooting

• If the wired connection doesn’t work either, try a different USB cable to rule out hardware issues.
  • If your MacBook Air is using a USB-C adapter for the connection, ensure the adapter is working properly.
  • Try resetting the printing system:
    1. Go to System PreferencesPrinters & Scanners.
    2. Right-click on the printer list and select Reset printing system.
    3. Re-add the printer after resetting.

Check HP Smart App

• Install or update the HP Smart app on your MacBook Air and iOS devices.
  • Open the app and attempt to reconnect the printer. HP Smart can sometimes help resolve network issues and offers additional diagnostic tools.

Ensure AirPrint is Enabled

• For your iPhone and iPad, ensure the printer has AirPrint enabled:
    • On your printer’s control panel, check if AirPrint is enabled. You can typically find this under Network Settings.

Update Printer Firmware

• It’s possible that a firmware update is needed for your printer to properly connect with your devices:
    • Go to HP's support website and download the latest firmware for your HP OfficeJet 6700 Premium.
    • Install it following the provided instructions.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.