Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro MFP M28
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a 2.5 month old HP LaserJet Pro MFP M28 which is no longer communicating with my Win10 computer. For the first month everything worked fine, but then the printer was shown as “offline”.

I can still print and scan use the M28 from my Apple devices, so I’m assuming the problem is with the connection from my computer to the device. The network summary report shows that the printer is connected to the correct network.

To fix the problem, I deinstalled all drivers (with some difficulty, resorting to the command line instructions I found in this forum). I also switched the router, computer and printer on and off and pulled the power cables. However, the problem persists.

Every time I try to connect the computer to the printer, a connection cannot be established. Here is what is happening:

When I run the driver or full software package installation, the printer is found on the local network.

I am able to start the “network device installation” routine. Eventually this one terminates, telling me that no connection can be established.

When running the HP Print and Scan Doctor, the printer is found but “no software is installed”. If I click to fix this, then the installation routine starts again and terminates once the “network device installation” fails. This is a vicious circle.

HP Smart shows the printer as “offline”.

I’m doing all of this using admin privileges on my machine.

I’m at my wits end. Does anyone have an idea what else I could do?

Thanks!

Timo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Sandy,

thank you very much for your response. While it didn't solve the problem, it put me on the right track to solve it.

I tried doing what you advised but found that I could not access the IP address from my PC. However, I could do so from my iPad. Chrome suggested it might be a firewall problem on my PC. I'm using Norton 360. I then made some changes to the device and network trust settings in Norton and that seems to have resolved the issue.

Thanks again for putting me on the right path! 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@timol

Welcome to HP support community.

Assign manual IP address and that should fix the issue.

Print a configuration page to determine the IP address or host name.

a. Press and hold the Start Copy button until the Ready light begins blinking.

b. Release the Start Copy button.

Setting a Static IP Address

Once you know your printer’s IP address, entering it is pretty easy. Here’s what you do:

HP Printer Static IP Address

1. Run your Web browser.
  2. In the Web browser’s address bar, type the IP address of your printer and press Enter. Assuming you entered the right address, the HP printer control panel should appear.
  3. Click the Networking tab.
  4. Under Connections, click Wireless.
  5. Under IP Address Configuration, click Manual IP.
  6. Enter the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway in the appropriate boxes.
  7. Click Apply.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy,

thank you very much for your response. While it didn't solve the problem, it put me on the right track to solve it.

I tried doing what you advised but found that I could not access the IP address from my PC. However, I could do so from my iPad. Chrome suggested it might be a firewall problem on my PC. I'm using Norton 360. I then made some changes to the device and network trust settings in Norton and that seems to have resolved the issue.

Thanks again for putting me on the right path! 

HP Recommended

Purchased a new HP Deskjet 3755 and tried connecting both on Wifi Direct and by USB cable both to Computer and iPad, with no success. I have read each of the instruction sheets that print off automatically when you press certain buttons on the printer.

I have tried each of the suggestions, without success.  I am certainly getting frustrated. HELP please

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.