Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Deskjet Plus 4155 All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've got several different posts with a similar problem, but I can't get any worthwhile help on any of the others, so I guess I'm going to try YET ANOTHER phrasing for the problem.

I have a Deskjet 4155, a new HP laptop (with McAfee preinstalled), and a consistent Wi-Fi connection. I have downloaded HP Smart app, and the Print & Scan Doctor (since it seems to keep having issues). HP Smart shows that the printer has been installed, but it consistently indicates "Not installed" for Installation Status. It WAS installed correctly on 2/18/2021 on my new laptop and showed , but as of 2/23/2021 it suddenly stopped working. I've tried to use Print & Scan Doctor but it now says that it can't connect to the printer when it tries to communicate. I checked my McAfee program and I'm seeing several attempts to use UDP and TCP/IP ports being blocked by the firewall that I don't recognized, but I can't find those same ports in the software. However, one of the device IDs matches the information from the printer I'm trying to install.

How can I get the McAfee software to recognize my printer? I can't keep turning off the firewall every time I want to use my printer, and a permanent USB connection between my laptop and printer isn't a workable solution due to the design of the area where these are used (not enough floor space to avoid tripping hazards. Any help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@bigby65

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Root level uninstall and reinstall printer drivers

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP DeskJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

To reinstall, click here.

And, also refer to: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03419426 Firewall Blocking Driver Install or Printer Function (Windows)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@bigby65

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Root level uninstall and reinstall printer drivers

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP DeskJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

To reinstall, click here.

And, also refer to: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03419426 Firewall Blocking Driver Install or Printer Function (Windows)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, it didn't help. First off, it couldn't even find the printui executable. And I have no clue how to do anything with the firewall, since it is run by McAfee and their "support" doesn't really tell me how to do any of what is mentioned in your linked article. So I'm still stuck with an expensive paperweight and an HP Instant Ink that's costing me money for something I'm unable to use, since the printer is unusable.

But thank you all the same for your recommendations.

HP Recommended

OOPS! Found the printui executable. The problem was I didn't put a [space] between the exe and the s.

But even then, it still isn't working, and NOW I can't even get the printer reinstalled. Whenever I get to the step to add the printer using the printer settings in the "Settings" app, I get a message that simply says "Installation failed" but no context. Did I mess something up with my McAfee firewall settings when I attempted to follow the instructions in your link?

HP Recommended

@bigby65

Thank you for posting back. 

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As of 6:05 PM EST on 3/3/2021, Print and Scan Doctor FINALLY managed to install the printer, but I don't know how long it will last this time. I have had this happen before but it only lasts a few days.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.