Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 2320 All-in-One Printer
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I've got a new simple printer (HP DeskJet 2320 All-in-One Printer),  USB connection. Not for wireless connection.

I connected it by USB to Mac (no hub use), but when I press print it doesn't.

The printer is On (status idle) and when I try to print, it changes status for a second (status in use), the printing queue adds the document (just for a second, then the print queue disappears deleting the document), and it does not print.

The printer can copy.

There is no software update available.

The printer is mentioned at Hardware at the System Information  (Another thing I noticed is that it mentions:

Scanning support: No).

When visiting 123.hp.com, entering the product name, it says: Your printer doesn’t need any software to print.

When adding it I (System Preferences/ Printers and Scanners/ + Add) there are 4 choices for Use: Auto Select, Generic PCL printer,  Select printer software and Other. I have tried all of them without result.   

I have tried HP Smart app, but it says printer not connected by USB (cannot find it).

I have tried HP Easy Start app, the printer is recognised but it redirects me to HP home internet page for support.  

I have tried also checked cables, switched on and off, re-set printing system, without result.

Now since this printer does not do air printing , there is no other way to connect it  and  I'm about to return the printer, in case there is no solution.

Please advise.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have been facing the same issues, asking to hp support yet not working. I guess hp still doesn't provide proper mac driver for 2300 series. It's detected in easy setup but not with hp smart.

I found temporary WORKING solution. Install hp driver from apple: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US

direct link: https://updates.cdn-apple.com/2019/cert/041-88763-20191011-6e70f498-9d39-420c-b11b-b252b17233e2/Hewl...

Install printer through printer and scanners preference pane, add printer, select other driver and I choose HP 2540 all in one driver. It can print yet scanner is not detected. At least the printer is usable on Mac. Queueing quiet slow though.

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 08.43.55.png

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi @Apos01,

I'd like to help!

To better assist you-

1.) Is there an antivirus software installed on your Mac? If yes, please try disabling it and check if it works.

2.) Are you using a USB hub?

While you respond to that, go to System Information to check the if the USB is detected or not - 

a.) From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac.

b.) Click System Report.

c.) Under the Hardware heading on the left side of the System Information window, click USB. USB 3 devices appear under USB 3.0 Bus, and USB 2 devices appear under USB 2.0 Bus. The printer should be under the USB 2.0 Bus.

If the device is not detected, it may not be receiving enough power or it may be blocked by internet security software. You may also try other ports on the hub or a different cable.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hello,

Unfortunately , this printer model does not support macOS.

There are no drivers and it is not Airprint compatible.

https://support.hp.com/emea_middle_east-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-deskjet-2300-all-in-one-printer-se...

I work on behalf of HP
Regards,
StretchMusic

If the answer provided resolves your issue please press the thumbs up button in order to make the answer available to others.
HP Recommended

There is no driver available for this printer model, but we can try and use the printer via USB using HP Smart App

Refer to My Operating System Is Not Listed on HP Software and Driver Downloads

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2843711-2427128-16 

The printer is also not supported with HP Smart.

I work on behalf of HP
Regards,
StretchMusic

If the answer provided resolves your issue please press the thumbs up button in order to make the answer available to others.
HP Recommended

I have been facing the same issues, asking to hp support yet not working. I guess hp still doesn't provide proper mac driver for 2300 series. It's detected in easy setup but not with hp smart.

I found temporary WORKING solution. Install hp driver from apple: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US

direct link: https://updates.cdn-apple.com/2019/cert/041-88763-20191011-6e70f498-9d39-420c-b11b-b252b17233e2/Hewl...

Install printer through printer and scanners preference pane, add printer, select other driver and I choose HP 2540 all in one driver. It can print yet scanner is not detected. At least the printer is usable on Mac. Queueing quiet slow though.

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 08.43.55.png

HP Recommended

I had the same issue and your suggestion worked. 
And as mentioned, scanner is not detected.

HP Recommended

Thanks for helping me. I can print after following the steps you mentioned. This IS a working solution although cannot use the scanner.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much. I have been looking for a solution everywhere on HP. No scanner but I bought it for the printing anyways. 

HP Recommended

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 9.59.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 10.08.15 AM.png

I've attempted this solution but the task is perpetually stuck in Printing-Accepting - the same as it was when I tried to use it without the 2540 drivers. Any ideas?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.