Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Color Laserjet Pro MFP M476DW
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Hi Forum,

Here's hoping someone can help me.

I should have known better before upgrading the firmware on my printer, but I didn't.  As a result, now, I can no longer "scan to folder" from the pannel in the printer.  It starts the job and after almost the entire page has been scanned (either flatbed or doc. feeder) then it stops and I get the dreaded Error 79.

I've rebooted iMac, Printer, Reset Defaults, etc.. etc.. 

The printer is connected via Cat6, and I am able to use HP's easyscan software to scan, or Mac OS scan utility.  But not the printer pannel, which is the most convenient.

Any idea either how to fix this, if I cannot find / downgrade to an older firmware ( i think I had a 2015 or 2016 firmware before) or where to find an old firmware?  I am using the latest "HP_LaserJet_M476_Color_MFP_Series_FW_Update_20180201.dmg"

Thank you, really would appreciate some help!

Robin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I went to the firmware download section and selected an older version of Max OSx.  Interestingly, it did not have 2017 or 2016 versions, only the 2015.  But it worked so I am happy.

Happy scanning!

Jon

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi, Robin.  I don't know if you received any help for this one yet or not.  I am in the same situation after doing the firmare update via the printer.  Did an online chat with HP but no luck solving it.  Probably going to roll back the firmware assuming I can find it.  Any developments since this post?

Thanks,

Jon

HP Recommended

Hi, Robin.  I don't know if you received any help for this one yet or not.  I am in the same situation after doing the firmare update via the printer.  Did an online chat with HP but no luck solving it.  Probably going to roll back the firmware assuming I can find it.  Any developments since this post?

Thanks,

Jon

HP Recommended

By the way, Robin, I rolled back to the 2015 version I found online and now I can scan again.  May want to try that.

Jon

HP Recommended

Hi Jon, I am happy you were able to solve the issue with the 2015 firmware.

I too, was lucky and was able to solve with 2017 that was given to me by HP tech support via phone.  I was pleasantly surprised as I had no expectations, so knowing you found the old firmware is great,... I guess i did not search well enough.  how/where did you find it, so I know for the future 😉

Glad we're both ok now.

Best,

HP Recommended

I went to the firmware download section and selected an older version of Max OSx.  Interestingly, it did not have 2017 or 2016 versions, only the 2015.  But it worked so I am happy.

Happy scanning!

Jon

HP Recommended

that was clever! I looked around for other OS's but not for older versions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.