Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 9018 All-in-One Printer

I GUESS THERE IS A FIRMWARE UPDATE ,HP IS TRYING TO SEND TO MY PRINTER. IT MAKES MY PRINTER UNUSEABLEAND CONTINUES TO TRY BUT IT MAKES MY PRINT/SCAN JOBS ALL STOP.

CAN YOU CHANGE HOW THE UPDATE GETS TO ME ???

I HAVE TRIED TO WORK THROUGH IT, BUT FOR 3 DAYS NOTHING HAPPENS TO STOP THE DEMAND FROM HP TO KEEP TRYING TO DOWNLOAD SOMETHING.

PLEASE SEND HELP TO [Personal Information Removed]

Thanks, DonaldF [Personal Information Removed]

Donald Eastman
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have had the same problem since 8/15/2023. My only solution was to leave my printer disconnected overnight. Today I powered up my printer and via the HPSmart app I found an option on the HP Easy Start page to stop the auto download of printer updates. I selected the alternate option to be notified of updates. Hopefully this will allow me to regain control of my printer

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I have had the same problem since 8/15/2023. My only solution was to leave my printer disconnected overnight. Today I powered up my printer and via the HPSmart app I found an option on the HP Easy Start page to stop the auto download of printer updates. I selected the alternate option to be notified of updates. Hopefully this will allow me to regain control of my printer

HP Recommended

Same problem with a OfficeJet Pro 9018. Started in the last 2 weeks and the printer keeps rebooting (even mid other tasks) then getting stuck in a failed download loop. Resetting the printer and power/boot cycling as suggested in other forum posts did nothing -- this is clearly an issue with the HP Cloud service providing the firmware updates or notifications. 

Current Firmware version: MANHTNPP1N002.2313A.00

Please assist as the printer is effectively bricked currently as it auto triggers the update cycles quickly after reboot.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  Where do I find HP Easy Start on HPSmart app?  

HP Recommended

The HP Easy Start application can be downloaded from the HP web support page.  

This is a problem on HPs side that only they can fix.  For now you can disable firmware update attempts with this:

Run the HP Smart application and choose "Printer Settings" which will take you to the embedded web GUI for the printer and then choose "SETTINGS" from the menu at the top.

On the left side click the + next to "Security" and choose "Administrator Settings"

Scroll all the way down to the bottom and uncheck both printer update boxes.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately that is not an option if you use the HP Instant Ink program - you cannot uncheck those options. 

HP doesn't post the firmware update to download to apply manually, and the check for the update continues to fail (and has done for several days now) when it tries to check. This puts the printer into an unusable state. 

So those of us using Instant Ink are stuck with printers that just go unusable regularly with literally nothing that we can do about it. 

I was incorrect. You can change the security settings even if you're on Instant Ink. So the answer from TomAlv is the correct one. 

You can also access this by putting your printer's IP address in a web browser to get to the administration and then going to Settings > Security > Administrator Settings - uncheck All Firmware Updates. 

9fxoAkp

HP Recommended

As an additional note, I was assured by an actually wonderful support rep that this will NOT cause issues with HP Instant Ink at least with an OfficeJet Pro 8035 as it's unlikely there would actually be any new firmware any time soon. But YMMV for your printer as HP Instant Ink does require having the latest firmware always. 

HP Recommended

The screen on the printer won’t let me move on because it says I need to be signed up with the ink program……..I AM ALREADY!!!

I would like to do a reboot of my printer. Is there a solution for that?  I feel the need to wipe the set up memory and start fresh!  I had an older HP that you could do a manual reboot. If I use the direct connect with the ETHERNET cable, would this work. Right now I am stuck looking at a graphic showing my ink levels. 

Donald Eastman
HP Recommended

My printer update options for my Office Pro 9025 on HP Smart are greyed out so I cannot change them. I don't know what to try next.

HP Recommended

This worked.  THANK YOU.  This solved our problem.  When I signed on to the IP address, went to settings, security, admin settings, and unchecked Updates, shut down printer, unplugged printer, waited a few minutes, replugged in printer, printer came on and problem was gone.  Thank you again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.