Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Deskjet F4580 All in One Printer
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a Deskjet F4580 all in one printer. I no longer have any kind of install CD or whatever for it, so I tried to download drivers from the HP website here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-deskjet-f4500-all-in-one-printer-series/3944755/...

I have windows 7 64-bit on a small acer laptop.

I have downloaded both the basic and full feature, and neither one works. I'll click on it and get a popup that says "extracting x%" with a status bar and a cancel option. It gets to 100% extraction and then...nothing. Literally nothing. The extracting popup disappears and leaves nothing in its place: no error messages, no setup wizard/installation whatever. I tried using the "troubleshoot compatibility" option on them and it applies windows XP service pack 2 settings and tell me to try it, but I'm not running windows XP.

I know this printer is kind of old as far as technology goes, but I would rather this get this printer working with this computer than buy a new printer because I just bought ink for it. Please help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@infinis,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I recommend you download and install the driver from the below link and check if it helps.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL29706/al-73705-3/DJ_AIO_06_F4500_USW_Full_Win_WW_140_17...

If you continue to face the issue, I recommend you install the Windows built-in driver and check whether that resolves the issue.

Follow the steps in the below artilce to install the Windows built-in driver.

HP printer setup (Windows built-in driver)

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@infinis,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues installing the printer on your computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• When was the last time the printer was working fine?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

While you respond to that, I recommend you follow the below steps to resolve this issue.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’

6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Restart the PC

14.) Download and install the printer software from the below link.

http://hp.care/2nikIQ9

15.) Connect the USB cable ONLY when prompted and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accept as Solution and kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The printer was probably last used a couple years ago when my last computer kicked the bucket. At that time, it was working perfectly. 

The printer is actually still working fine; I was able to successfully use the copy function, and there are no parts missing, no damage, nothing wrong with the printer itself. 

No software or hardware changes to the computer.

As far as troubleshooting goes, not really, because there wasn't really anything I could do. I did extract the download file with 7zip and tried clicking directly on the setup file, and that still did nothing. 

I followed your steps, but there was no printer anything related in programs and features, so there was nothing to uninstall there. I uninstalled anything printer like from devices and printers so now all that was left is XPS writer. Then I downloaded the driver file from your link and still nothing. It doesn't even do anything when I try to run it as admin.

edit: it's worth noting that I tried plugging the USB back into the computer anyway...it tries to find drivers from windows update and of course fails, but it still puts something in my devices and printers section - a "photosmart all in one printer copier scanner". 

HP Recommended

@infinis,

I recommend you create a new user account on the computer and then install the printer and check.

Follow the steps in the below artilce to create a new user account.

https://hp.care/2JFY8rk

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I created a new account but still nothing. Extraction is getting to 99% and then the window disappears now.

Is there a driver file that does not need extracting (but it still doesn't work in 7zip when I decompress it and click setup by itself)? 

Maybe one that's specific to Win7 instead of being for Win7/XP/Vista all in one? Because every time I right click > troubleshoot compatibility, it constantly applies windows XP compatibility mode settings. I even tried downloading the drivers for WIn8 and troubleshooting compatibility, and it still uses windows XP service pack 2 compatibility settings. I never get an option to select win7: https://prnt.sc/jyh41b

At this point I'm wondering if it's maybe a problem with my computer itself that makes it not work with the driver file because so far nothing has worked to make the driver file actually open and start installing. 

HP Recommended

@infinis,

I recommend you download and install the driver from the below link and check if it helps.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL29706/al-73705-3/DJ_AIO_06_F4500_USW_Full_Win_WW_140_17...

If you continue to face the issue, I recommend you install the Windows built-in driver and check whether that resolves the issue.

Follow the steps in the below artilce to install the Windows built-in driver.

HP printer setup (Windows built-in driver)

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I got it working with the built in driver, but I had to extract the download file with 7zip and tell the add a printer thing I had a disk, then proceeded to point it in the direction of the folder I extracted the files to. That was the only way it worked.

of course now the scanner is dead, but I can just get a separate scanner for that...happy the print and copy functions are working. 2/3 is a good outcome. 

thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

@infinis

You're most welcome.

As @The_Fossette is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. 

Glad to know that the issue is fixed and hope it remains that way. You have been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills and valuable patience. Kudos to you for that. 

Happy printing! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.