Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does anyone know how to fix a "79 Service Error" on a Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw?  I unplugged and replugged all the cables and modem (several times). I have turned my printer on and off as instructed (several times).  I have also removed and reinstalled my printer.  I have installed the Firmware update also. I have tried to contact a real, live person only to get sent to a community page.  The problem seems to have started sometime when the Firmware update was originally installed about a month ago.  Can someone please help resolve this issue, or direct me to where I can find a solution?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I would highly suggest these steps before trying to downgrade the firmware:

This solution was provided to me -- it has worked for me and several other folks. I do not recommend downgrading the firmware as several other posts have mentioned -- I think that is unnecessary.

Below are the steps that you need to follow in the order as mentioned ...

Disconnect the printer from the NETWORK

--If on wired network: Unplug the Ethernet cable from back of the printer.

--If on wireless network: Power off your Wireless router.

Turn off the printer. Wait for 30 seconds. Turn on the printer.

If the printer is in READY state, on the printer front panel, go to Setup -> Network Setup -> Network Services -> IPv6 -> Off.

Turn off the printer. Wait for 30 seconds and then turn back on.

Reconnect to the network and try printing ; it should work. . Good luck...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I would highly suggest these steps before trying to downgrade the firmware:

This solution was provided to me -- it has worked for me and several other folks. I do not recommend downgrading the firmware as several other posts have mentioned -- I think that is unnecessary.

Below are the steps that you need to follow in the order as mentioned ...

Disconnect the printer from the NETWORK

--If on wired network: Unplug the Ethernet cable from back of the printer.

--If on wireless network: Power off your Wireless router.

Turn off the printer. Wait for 30 seconds. Turn on the printer.

If the printer is in READY state, on the printer front panel, go to Setup -> Network Setup -> Network Services -> IPv6 -> Off.

Turn off the printer. Wait for 30 seconds and then turn back on.

Reconnect to the network and try printing ; it should work. . Good luck...

HP Recommended

Hi JohnK_TTP.  Thank you for sending this!!!  It did work.  And, this was the only thing that would work.  But, before I could do any of the steps you sent me, I first had to do a factory reset on my printer because I never had a "Ready" screen.  My printer was continuously turning on and off on it's own listing the "79 Service Error" as the problem.  So, to do the factory reset, I turned the printer off, then on, and pressed the lower right corner of the menu screen when the black "HP" screen first loaded.  I waited about 45 - 50 seconds until a "Permanent storage init" showed; then, I stopped pressing the corner.  This stopped the continuous cycle of the printer turning on and off.  I was able to then follow the instructions that you listed; which ultimately worked/fixed my printer.  But, I DID HAVE to reinstall the original driver software that came with it when I first bought my printer so my computer would recognize the printer.  I downloaded this from HP.Com downloads.  Happily, I am now able to print.  This was definitely a nightmare for me.  It took me several aggravating days to be able to fix this problem.  I don't understand why I couldn't get in touch with someone, a real live someone, at HP.  The Virtual Assistant is "virtually" useless.  Once you buy the product, you seem to be on your own on fixing a problem or issue.  To me, this is an unacceptable practice from HP.  Companies need to make themselves available for these kinds of things!!!!  It definitely keeps happy customers when someone, a real live someone, can listen and help.  Thanks again for sending this! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.