Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

**bleep** you HP. I am not paying for your cartridges.... The cartridges cost more than the printer. Ridiculous.

I have been loyal to HP printers for many years but this has me questioning my decision. If you pull this s**t again I won't buy another HP product again.

I updated the firmware and had this same issue. I downgraded the firmware (AND shut down automatic updates). Here is the link I used to help me out:

[content removed]

Best of luck to the rest of you.

**bleeo**

HP Recommended

I think blocking compatitive cartridges is AGAINST europian rules! HP could better be competitive in price against others because then they deserve our respect!

HP Recommended

My M281fdw has worked fine for 3 years, but after the latest automatic firmware update 20201021, my non-HP cartridges do not work. HP will not help me.

Here is how you fight back to drive HP crazy, especially if more of us do it all over the United States.  Walmart will take back products for up to 30 days with no questions asked. In the last 12 months, I buy the most expensive color laserjet and nicest HP printer they own and return every 3 weeks.  I already shop at Walmart regularly anyway for groceries, so no big deal to go back and forth.  This way I get unlimited ink/toner and unlimited warranty.

If HP doesn't want to help us, I now found a way to screw them.

HP Recommended

I tried to downgrade the FW (allow downgrade is enabled) to HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612

But after this is completed, FW 20201021 is still active, so the downgrade failed.

Where is my mistake and how can I downgrade?

SOLUTION: Before you downgrade you have to allow updates. After successful downgrade disable allow updates.

Regards, Jens

HP Recommended

Have you downloaded the previous firmware to your pc/mac? You have to have this and then upload the old firmware to the printer. it's the same process as uploading new firmware manually but you are obviously using a file version which is older and therefore have to tell the printer to allow downgrades. Hope that helps.

it make's me smile every time I get a notification about a new post from HP about this thread as it includes the message "SCAM Warning.....", which is exactly how I feel about their firmware policy after purchasing one of their products 🙂

HP Recommended

THey have also broken HP genuine cartridges, if you happen to have moved countries and brought local genuine cartridges they have stopped working. Very poor customer service.

HP Recommended

I work for a large local college. We were going to purchase 305 printers for our four locations. I have voted against HP printers. The model we have been testing MFP281 had a firmware update after which it wont take non-hp  toner anymore. This is predatory business practice where HP has good quality printers for less price than most competitors but then they force customers to purchase expensive HP toner. That said, their are toner makers who have a published procedure of how you can downgrade your firmware to a version that allowed you to use the third-party toner.

I am almost certain that very soon someone will come up with a totally third-party firmware patch which will allow.  Ask me for the PDF document which shows how to, not only downgrade but also say NO to future firmware updates.

HP Recommended

Hi @ NafeesCreations,@BruceGr,@keelaro@,jensschoeffel @cmiller1974@andreroest @pez325

Welcome to the HP Support Community.  

I understand you need assistance and I’d love to help. 

However, we encourage our customers to create a public post so that the conversation may help other community members find a similar solution.  

Hence, I would request you to create a public post with the same query, 

So that you may get your answers from the various members we have in our community forums at HP. 

To learn how to use the HP Support Community, refer to this post.  

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer or HP Chat Support Team.

It’s been a pleasure interacting with you.  

Have a good day ahead. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Hi, Isabeele64 did you get the firmware downgrade for Mac?

Thanks

Paul

HP Recommended

Worked like a charm. This stopped the 79 error I was getting when on a network. Connect with USB and ran this downgrade and its working like new. Thanks a million, great solution. Lesson learned.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.