Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Dell
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I followed the instruction OOZaro posted and after reinstalling drivers 64 has 3.0ld and 3 with new date. W32X86 has the 3.old and no new 3 with new date. Still getting the 'driver unavailable' error.

I've tried all the Microsoft and HP trouble shooting but they all stop at various points. 

OOZaro wrote

I have solved this issue.

To fix this you may need to uninstall or remove your drivers. This can be done by going to control panel > hardware and sound > Devices and Printers      and right clicking on the printer and selecting remove device. This is not neccessary but I advise you to do this. 

Now to fix the issue. 

Go to:

**bleep** C

Windows

System32

spool

drivers

In the drivers folder there should be a folder called "W32X86" and "x64"

Open "W32X86" folder

There should be a folder named "3". You need to change the name of that folder to "3.old".

Return to the drivers folder

Open "x64" folder 

There should be a folder named "3". You need to change the name of that folder to "3.old".

Now install your drivers by going to 123.hp.com/setup and following the on screen instructions. Hopefully this helped 

joyfulgirl_3_0-1637673571516.png

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@joyfulgirl_3

Welcome to the HP support community.

I understand that you are getting printer driver issues, I am glad to assist you.

Uninstall the printer driver from the root level and reinstall the printer driver to fix the issue:-

Perform root level uninstallation to remove all the printer related software's.

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 
  • Restart the PC again.

Download and install the HP Smart app to fix the issue

Click here to download the app.

Keep me posted.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the instructions. It didn't work easily/smoothly and but it eventually worked. 

I can scan and print from HP Smart App the app but can't push scan pdf on the printer to send to my laptop. It will send a jpeg, it won't send a PDF.

When I press scan on printer, I get the error message on my laptop Unable to Communicate with the Scanner.

The HP Scan doctor 5.6.2  says not all software is loaded but I loaded the complete package from HP. I don't want to download again and mess up the printer capability.

HP Recommended

@joyfulgirl_3

Check Windows Image Acquisition settings

Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) is a Windows service that helps communication between the computer and scanners. If WIA is not activated, scan jobs can fail.

1. In Windows, search for and open View local services.

2. In the Services window, scroll down the list and find Windows Image Acquisition (WIA).

3. Look at the Status and Startup Type values.

• If the status is Started or Running and the Startup Type is Automatic, WIA is running correctly. Skip to the next step.

Making sure WIA Status is Running, and Startup Type is Automatic

• If the status is Disabled or no status displays, right-click Windows Image Acquisition (WIA), click Properties, click the General tab, select Automatic from the Startup type dropdown menu, and then click Start.

If the Start button is grayed out, go back to the Services menu, make sure Remote Procedure Call, Shell Hardware Detection, RPC Endpoint Mapper, and DCOM Server Process Launcher are running and set as Automatic, and then start WIA.

4. Try to scan.

Here is the HP document for your future reference:- Click here

Keep me posted.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So, after spending about 12 hours trying to fix the 'driver not available error' - researching on web, posting for help, trying solutions- following the HP advice which eventually worked from the hp app. Went to print today and it's reverted back to driver not available after I  deleted the folders and fresh install last weekend.

Wish I hadn't spent $45 on ink before this or I would...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjsSr3z5nVk

Now, since I can't print, I get to go to COVID vaccine appt and hear kids scream for 20 minutes while I fill out the paperwork I couldn't print at home.

HP Recommended

@joyfulgirl_3

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.