Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

I have a HP Envy 7855.  Microsoft tells me that the printer's driver is not compatible with Windows 11.   It does not matter that I have the latest driver.  Who do I contact to report this?  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@George_ 

Welcome to the HP User Community.

Update - Add example thread

The answer you seek might be included within the last entries in this thread:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Keep-getting-Hewlett-Packard-US...

Hide unwanted updates

and / or

If you have both a USB connection (cable between the printer and the computer) and you are also running the printer as a wireless connection, disconnect the USB cable from between the printer and the computer.

Original Content

@George_ wrote:

I have a HP Envy 7855.  Microsoft tells me that the printer's driver is not compatible with Windows 11.   It does not matter that I have the latest driver.  Who do I contact to report this?  

Seems odd that Microsoft would tell you something like this.

Not sure what you are seeing, of course.

Regardless - the printer software for the Envy Photo 7800 printer series is compatible with Windows 11.

Windows 11 compatible HP printers

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more

Open

HP ENVY Photo 7855 All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Here is the file that appears in Windows Update and continues to return:  Hewlett-Packard - USB - 2/10/2017 12:00:00 AM - 44.1.2402.1741.

I notice that file mentioned above says 2017.  Is this the current driver for HP Envy 7855 or is it finding some other old driver?

I have verified with HP that my driver is up-to-date (don't know the version).  I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the driver a number of times.  Ran firmware update.  Still Windows Update thinks I need to install the file mentioned above.  When I have installed it, my HP Envy 7855 stops working.  I then have to run HP Scan and Print Doctor to fix it.  But then Windows Update finds the same file again.  I have talked with HP, Dell, and Microsoft.  Everything is up-to-date with all three.  Why does this file keep appearing and wanting to install?  Microsoft says Windows Update just gets the file from HP and it is a problem that HP needs to fix because it is not fully compatible with Windows 11. 

HP Recommended

@George_ 

OK.

Ignore any of the following that is not relevant or misses the point.

I admit I don't know what you are asking.

One more try...

======================================================================================

When you spoke with Microsoft, I am a little surprised they did not explain about Windows Updates.

Yes, Updates will come back - Windows thinks you need an update, it applies that update.

Search for more information using your favorite web browser for tips, tricks, and methods for using Windows Updates.

Your posted image example is a USB driver - it is not printer software.

Look to your computer for possible reasons for Windows Update having installed a USB driver.

Can this USB update have "done something" that impacts the printer software?

Sure - Could happen.

Is it a bug?  Maybe, though right now it is statistically more likely there is something going on in your Windows file system that is causing a conflict or error.  Bugs tend to show up for many, many people over a short period of time.  Yes, still possible.  I will forward your concern, of course.

In general,

Printer Software -- unless the user (you) installs the built-in Windows print drivers -- is not installed by Windows Update.

Printer Software - What is installed?

You can check what you have installed.

First check the installation of the full driver printer software in Programs and Features

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features

Example - Printer Software - Installed in Programs and Features

Programs_and_Features_Printer_Desktop_Icons_6Programs_and_Features_Printer_Desktop_Icons_6

Next, check the installed version in Programs and Features against the installation version in Software and Drivers.

Printer Homepage

Open Category Software and Drivers

If necessary change the windows version to Windows and Windows 11

Open sub-category Software-Utility

Click to open the listed software > Click to "See full Details"

Check the printer software version.

At this writing, the current version for Envy Photo 7855 = 44.9.2759

Example - Software and Drivers - Full Feature Software / Full Driver Printer Software

Installation package

Software_and_Drivers_Full_Driver_Printer_Software_1Software_and_Drivers_Full_Driver_Printer_Software_1

Note that to actually install the driver, it might be necessary to do so using the HP Easy Start Printer Setup Software wrapper.  In the case of your printer, Easy Start is located in Installation Software and Full/Basic Driver - Supports...

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more

Open

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

You mentioned that the driver I listed in WIndows Update  "Hewlett-Packard - USB - 2/10/2017 12:00:00 AM - 44.1.2402.1741" is a USB driver.  Thank you for that information and not the printer driver.  It does say it is Hewlett-Packard, so could there be a problem with the the USB itself or the USB driver causing?  And what would one check or do to fix it?

Note:  HP Scan and Fax Doctor works great to fix whatever the problem is, but it returns.  I sure appreciate your help in trying to figure this out and hopefully fix it.

HP Recommended

Hi @George_,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I'd like to help!

This looks like a driver error.

Let's try and uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
    • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
    • Restart your computer.
    • Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
    • Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
    • Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer” – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device". 
    • Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.
    • Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
    • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
    • Again, go running window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
    • Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.
    • Now restart your computer again.
    • Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
    • Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
    • Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
    • Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well
    • Windows image acquisition stop and restart the service 

Install all the available Windows updates

If it is been a while since you updated your Windows, that is the main reason why Windows says your HP printer driver is unavailable. Here are the steps how to do a Windows Update to install all accessible operating system update.

If you are accessing Windows 10, then these steps are for you.

1. Hit the Start menu and write an update. After that, click on the “Check for updates” option.
  2. Tap on the “Check for updates” option.
  3. After clicking on that option, Windows will install the updates automatically.
  4. When Windows completes all its updates, start your computer again and attempt to print a file to check if your printer works.

Reinstall the drivers from the Software and drivers page

If the error persists, Try installing the printer with a windows built-in driver

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.