Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 4500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Went to use my printer the first time in about a month.  First had to make a copy of a driver's license, which went fine.

But when printing a document, envy printer didn't show up.  I redid the connection wizard, and it is connected to my wifi just fine.  I  go to printer and scanner on web setting, Printer was there but said unavailble or something.  I removed the device and rebooted my computer.  I add printer and scanners, it does detect HP Envy 4500, I add device, it gives me message driver is not found.  

I've tried downloading the basic drivers to no avail.

I did find someone else listed they had the same problem from 6/2020 windows update, I followed those instructions part way, but could not identify what files to delete in regedit.  Note my computer is brand HP, and I couldn't find the specific file listed.

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@Iamfrustrated12

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

Please uninstall the printer driver from root level and download the full feature software

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and download the Full Feature Software from Here and follow the onscreen Instructions

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I get to where drivers are to be removed.  I get the error message that drivers are in use.  I have rebooted and tried a 2nd time, same error message

HP Recommended

@Iamfrustrated12

The HP Print and Scan Doctor might get this sorted out

Please download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor from this Link: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/HPPSdr.exe

Run PSDR

Once the PSDR detects the Printer, it will show up the IP address and Software Status. 

Select the correct Printer and click on Next. 

PSDR will check if the Printer is on the Network and communication between the PC and the Printer. Once the connection check is done, click on Fix Printing 

Once PSDR goes through all checks and automatic fixes, click on Print a test page. 

Regardless if PSDR printed the test page or not, click on “NO PRINT” 

PSDR will then notify you that there is an update available, click on continue, and PSDR will apply the patch and ask for a reboot. 

Post restart the PSDR will run automatically to check for more issue.  If no issue found close PSDR. 

Also, try using the HP Smart App and let me know if that helps. Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hp-smart/9wzdncrfhwlh

You can refer to this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03561640 for more information on HP Smart App

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

okay, I downloaded print and scan doctor

Ran it, it said printer was not installed and installed it.  then went to the fixing problem part, and it passed everything except recommended updates.  I went to print a test page.  It failed.  it then asked to print an internal test page which successfully printed

it then tells me there is a problem that cannot be fixed by this tool, remove the software by clicking uninstal and then reinstall using CD or latest full feature software from HP customer care. (as a hyperlink)

i follow the link and get oops  paged not found, but in the list right below that it has drivers, so I select drivers.  I identify my printer type and select basic drivers .   I reboot my computer.  I run the driver.  Printer is installed, doesn't give any error on missing drivers.  Great.  I go to print a pdf, a PDF i've printed before so I know nothing is wrong with it.  I then get an error messsage and it says it can't print.

I run print and scan doctor.  Same results as before (except it recognizes there's a document queed up)  I go to print test page and again get a pop up message that there's an error and it can't print.  Again I click the internal test page and it prints that.  So now I am back to square one, and even more furstrated than before

HP Recommended

p.s. I did install HP smart, and after not signing up for ink it told me everything was ready.  I chose print documents and then picked a PDF to print.  again I got an error message but HP smart says it is ready

HP Recommended

Please run the SFC Scan and then uninstall the driver from root level and download the full feature software again

Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have done the system scan, results were that it did not find any integrity violations.

I will need more detailed instructions on how to uninstall the driver from root level

HP Recommended

I did some looking and found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzXqEjOyvqg

and 

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/101274-uninstall-printer-driver-windows-10-a.html

would the methods spelled out in this video and / or document work?

HP Recommended

@Iamfrustrated12

Follow the below steps to root uninstall the printer and then install it.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Restart the PC

14.) Download and install the printer software from the below link.

http://hp.care/2nikIQ9

Let me know how it goes.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.