Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP OfficeJet 3830 all-in-one. Worked fine two days ago. Yesterday I got a "driver is unavailable" error. I tried removing and re-adding the printer, which didn't work. Tried resetting the printer to factory defaults and reconnecting it, which didn't work.  I am out of ideas. Need help quickly.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I have the same problem. I have not been able to use my printer now in weeks. I have uninstalled the software, uninstalled the printer in Settings/Printers, uninstalled the driver in Device Manager, and when I try to uninstall the driver in the printer server under Settings/Printers, I get told that the driver is in use. Windows Troubleshooter reports it can't see the printer on the network, but... it is seen on the network just fine. No firewall, no proxies, the connection type is set to home, Print Spooler & networking services are all enabled. 

This looks like a bug, so it really doesn't surprise me that no staff has answered your question. It would be nice to know if this is a bug from the last update (I think it is since this didn't start happening until the last update), and, if so, if it is being worked on and what the anticipated time frame for completion would be. 

HP Recommended

I've now reset the printer through EWS. Same results as before. So everything has been uninstalled, reinstalled, reset, etc. and this is the same result every time. 

rollerskate_0-1610639560617.pngrollerskate_1-1610639567288.png

https://ibb.co/rG50y8C

https://ibb.co/p4sN7t5 

HP Recommended

Yep, me too. Weirder still is that I have a second printer, identical make and model, that the same computer has no driver problem with.

HP Recommended

I have done all that you have and still unable to print from an OJ3831. Have been on the case for days. I can get it to print from some of my network PC's but not my laptop. The laptop will print if connected on USB however.

Would chuck it out but cannot afford anew printer (definitely non HP)

HP Recommended

I got good news and bad news. Good news: I resolved the issue. Bad news: I have no idea how I did it. First, I went to the Geek Squad for help. The tech I worked with could not figure out what the problem was...but after she finished up and went away, I rebooted again and suddenly the printer driver was available. So she must have fixed something, I just don't know what. But I still couldn't print. I checked the printer port and noticed it was set to the wrong printer IP address. I set it to the correct address, clicked OK, and the printer woke up. Happy days! If only the fix will hold...

The skinny that I got from the GS tech was that this is a problem with a recent Windows update, and that they are getting a lot of calls about it. I checked the Micro$oft site and didn't see anything about this, so I'm not sure if I believe it or not.

Later...I think the printer is using the MS driver rather than the HP driver. I can copy and print, but I can't scan, and printing is monochrome only. Not completely fixed yet.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.