Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
officejet Pro 8500a
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I was experiencing the known issue with the popup messages, so i uninstalled the drivers for my Officejet 8500a. But when I went back in to reinstall the driver, all it offered for Mac OS Catalina was HP eprint, which is not compatible with the 8500a. I tried installing an earlier version of the driver, but then i got a message saying that HP hasn't updated the installer. Anyone know of any workaround so i can get this driver, or is this perfectly good printer now junk?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

P.S. I did save most of the original download files from the driver, so if someone could tell me the path where they need to go, that might help also. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Because of the issue with the old Apple installer, HP moved support for these older devices into HP Easy Start.

I believe the OfficeJet Pro 8500 will still work but I am unsure why it is not on the drivers page.

Please try using HP Easy Start and see if it recognizes the OfficeJet Pro 8500 and installs the drivers.

You can download HP Easy Start here.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

Hi.

If HP Easy Start above may fails to find drivers for your printer, also try installing below drivers and check:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/ASU/HPPrinterDrivers5.1.dm...

From System Preferences > Printers & Scanners click the plus button and select your printer, then select your printer model within the Use drop-down menu.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. I tried downloading HP Easy Start, but it said that "we are not able to automatically locate any software options for this product. Please go to the HP Website and search for product solutions there."

HP Recommended

Actually, i take it back: looks like it worked! Amazing - thanks so much!!

HP Recommended

Hi Shlomi,

I downloaded the drivers via the link you sent on my Macbook Air, and don't see the printer in Printers and Scanners. Is it possible i need to download something else? Or, is there a way to uninstall anything that might still be on there, then reinstall?

Thanks,
Pete

HP Recommended

Hi Iron Badger,

Following up here: I thought I had this resolved, but Easy Start isn't seeing my Officejet Pro 8500a through my Mac. Any more suggestions? I went to HP's website and downloaded E-print on the driver page, but that didn't work either. 

Thanks,
pete

HP Recommended

Hi Pete,

As you don't see the printer under Printers & Scanners, this is likely a communication problem rather than any driver problem.

How is the printer connected to your Mac? via USB, wireless or through a wired Ethernet network connection?

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.