Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 4520 All in One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Envy 4520 All-in-One Printer just over a twelve month old.  I never had a problem with the printer until the drivers were changed and Windows 10 Home 64 bit updated around June 2017, the printer stopped connecting to the laptop with the error message

(The Printer drivers not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that blocks NT 4.0 drivers).

I have tried all the suggestions on HP support site also on Microsoft.  I tried the original disc when I first installed the printer with no problems but still the same error.  I phoned HP and had an attitude that I don’t care its Microsoft’s problem.  I phone Microsoft and they said “its HP’s problem they know they’re driver’s need to be compatible”.

I am at the end of my tether I need the printer for work, I don’t know what to do, I can see other people are having the same issues. I have a windows tablet which can still connect to the printer and prints fine but with limited capacity because of the tablet size.

I would be grateful if anyone can help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try the following steps and let me know the results. be aware that if you have additional printers, any installed printer will need to be reinstalled after completing these steps:

1. Uninstall the HP Software from your PC.
  2. Backup your registry prior making any registry changes:
    https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03485724
  3. Update your registry using the Reg file below (that will change some printer related policies for your PC):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/avbv56zdgwv7600/kernel.reg?dl=1
  4. Right click the Start menu and select Run.
  5. Type Services.msc and press OK.
  6. Locate and stop the Print Spooler service
  7. Browse to c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers

8. Rename W32X86 to W32x86.old

9. Rename x64 to x64.old
    Note: if any of these folders fails to delete reboot your PC and then repeat the steps starting from Step 4...

10. Restart your computer.
  11. Reinstall the HP Software and check for any difference

Please let me know the results,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try the following steps and let me know the results. be aware that if you have additional printers, any installed printer will need to be reinstalled after completing these steps:

1. Uninstall the HP Software from your PC.
  2. Backup your registry prior making any registry changes:
    https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03485724
  3. Update your registry using the Reg file below (that will change some printer related policies for your PC):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/avbv56zdgwv7600/kernel.reg?dl=1
  4. Right click the Start menu and select Run.
  5. Type Services.msc and press OK.
  6. Locate and stop the Print Spooler service
  7. Browse to c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers

8. Rename W32X86 to W32x86.old

9. Rename x64 to x64.old
    Note: if any of these folders fails to delete reboot your PC and then repeat the steps starting from Step 4...

10. Restart your computer.
  11. Reinstall the HP Software and check for any difference

Please let me know the results,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help.  I tried the above without any luck.  I’ve attached a file if that will give you any ideas. Thanks again.Disabled-1.jpg

HP Recommended

It works for me, thanks !

HP Recommended

Thank you so much. This worked perfect. I have been banging my head for days trying to figure this out. Only thing, and I may be misunderstanding, when I renamed the files to .old I thought they would delete after re-start. I may be just misunderstanding and anyways the fix worked and I can print.

Thanks

Accepted Solution

HP Recommended

Thank you very much, it works for me on Deskjet 4645!

HP Recommended

THANK YOU. Been struggling with this for 2 days with my Envy 5540 since reinstalling Win10. Tried the Windows troubleshooter, the HP downloaded troubleshooter, reinstalls, etc. No good. This fixed it.

I thought it hadn't because I was testing by trying to print a PDF from the Edge browser *spit*. This kept saying 'we couldn't reach this printer'. To fix this go here and find MatthewHartman's reply dated June 10 2016. That fixed THAT issue as well and I could finally print. 

HP, you should include this in your troubleshooting app.

HP Recommended

LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw. Windows 10, version 1709.

C:\ drive reinstalled and backed up using windows recovery tool. Lost HP printer software during this process.

Decided to reinstall HP software to no avail, 12 frustrating attempts and nine hours later I found out that this was the root cause: Driver not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that blocks NT 4.0 drivers!

Found Shlomi's procedure on the Google website and followed it step by step.

This method worked a treat for me and I was then able to install and use the HP printer software as directed by the installation wizard.

Excellent work Shlomi, you saved me a lot of trouble and heartache!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.