Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet F4280 All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I managed to get me a HP Deskjet F4280 All-in-One device recently, but there was no software CD included.

I plugged it in and hoped for Windows to do its job on its own, making it work immediately, but it did not find any drivers.

At first i did not mind, because I thought I could simply download the necessary drivers from the HP homepage.

But then I found that only the "HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows" is listed for this device, but no drivers (dont mind the language, should be self explanatory I think): https://support.hp.com/de-de/drivers/selfservice/hp-deskjet-f4200-all-in-one-printer-series/3390945/...8

I tried to use this software and it found the printer, yet it just stated that the necessary software was not completely installed (nothing else did I expect........thats why I am here.....). But as a solution it only led me again to the above mentioned link, which does not give any software.

Then, in a next step, I tried to find some drivers by Windows Update. Indeed, a long list of HP drivers showed up, but NOT for the F4200 series.

Now before I download the stuff from any shady inofficial hp-support-clone, I would like to know if there is anything I can still do myself?

Have a nice week-end

urigoth

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @urigoth , danke

Ok, if the Scan and Capture doesn´t work, then try to install the next software for the scanner function:

* Click on YES option  to say thanks, 

* Click on the button Accepted Solution if the question is answered.

Best regards, 

ferRX.

dodecaedron

@ferRX / I am a volunteer posting answers on my own time.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi

Hello
sorry not a printer expert, but waiting for someone to answer you
Did you try this

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-deskjet-f4200-all-in-one-printer-series/3390945/model/339094...

(you can change the language if needed down country / region )

https://support.hp.com/de-de/product/hp-deskjet-f4200-all-in-one-printer-series/3390945/model/339094...
The printer is old, and probably not supported by another system, you probably will not find any drivers directly!
Read the available documents

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-deskjet-f4200-all-in-one-printer-series/3390945/model/339094...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please follow below support document to install your printer on Windows 10, your printer is too old for the HP Smart app which is intended for much later HP printers:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/ish_2224996-1993298-16

If you experience any difficulties installing the driver using the Windows built-in driver, please check below support document to resolve a such:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04655208

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you @ShlomiL 
but interesting ..
Why is hp giving away something that is not working with the machine ..
I understand how users can be lost, if the given directions are unnecessary
HP should therefore remove what is useless in the product pages

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hello,

yes, the HP Smart App does not help. But still the problem is that the App, indeed recognising the printer, suggests me to install the drivers from the hp-websites, but as described in the beginning, only the HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows can be downloaded, which again leads to the exact same page, asking me to download the drivers which are simply not listed.

If you experience any difficulties installing the driver using the Windows built-in driver, please check below support document to resolve a such:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04655208

Shlomi

Also the instructions for the built-in drivers do not help me, because I get stuck at Step 4-8:

there it says:

"If your printer is not in the list, click the back arrow in the upper left corner of the window two times to return to the Find a printer by other options step, and then continue with these steps."

But "these steps" refer to the printer's IP-adress, but the F4280 is connected via USB (no WIFI connection possible) and how do I find an IP adress then?

Best regards

urigoth

HP Recommended

Hi @urigoth ,

Try the download from the next link:

then click over the file DJ_SF_NonNet_Full_W and click Download icon in the upper right corner

Best regards, 

ferRX.

dodecaedron

HP Recommended

Hi @FerRX !

this is exactly what my Mommy always warned me of: "don't download stuff from foreigners on the internet!"

but despair makes one take risks and this was a worthy one:

printing works now! Thank you!

Now the only detail left is the scanner. I can not make it work, sadly. What I observed during the installation is that the printer was NOT found during the search by the software. Also in the device list Windows still claims "driver not available" and the device itself is listed as a printer only (no scanning device detected). So for any reason PDF readers, MS Office, browsers allow me to print and the pages come out correctly, but I cannot scan anything. By the way, simple copies work.

I hope there is a solution for this as well,

but best regards so far

urigoth

HP Recommended

Hello Urigoth,

Bitte, Try with the next app from Microsoft Store

HP Scan and Capture

Best regards, 

ferRX.

dodecaedron

HP Recommended

hello again,

the app does not work, because it can not find the device.

for some reason I seem to be stuck in some bug-like situation:

when installing the software you linked previously, it does not find the printer either. But the installation somehow allows me to print from various programs as described.

As indicated, Windows still lists the device as follows: ("standard, drivers not available")

urigoth_0-1634952564858.png

Again: printing works (I don't even know why now), scanning does not as no program seems to be able to identify the device completely/correctly.

Have a nice weekend

urigoth

HP Recommended

Hi @urigoth , danke

Ok, if the Scan and Capture doesn´t work, then try to install the next software for the scanner function:

Best regards, 

ferRX.

dodecaedron

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.