cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
Saints_Fan
Level 2
8 6 0 7
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

ENVY 55340 not printing in colour

HP Recommended
ENVY 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

ENVY 5540 will not print colour, rendering everything sent from the computer that runs the full printer software suite into greyscale.  The on printer software print quality diagnostics return wholly OK and anything sent by WiFi from other devices (phone, tablet) prints perfectly in colour.  Every app I have tried to print from on the computer, which also communicates by wireless with the printer is rendered in greyscale. Logic suggest that the driver is faulty, the more so in that this fault has appeared as if by magic (perhaps after an 'upgrade' pushed from HP?) with absolutely no change to any of the settings.  I note with concern that the printer properties no longer lists an option to print in  greyscale whereas I know that this used to be present.  Again I have made no change.  Yesterday I uninstalled the entire printer suite and downloaded a replacement  SMART app from the HP website (123.hp.com).  This gives a welcome screen which is in greyscale. So, simply, what's wrong and how can I put it right.?  Does SMART re-install a driver or does it use whatever it finds? Either way  I am moderately convinced that this is a problem of your making in some 'update'. It would not  be the first time this kind of thing has happened when using your products.  Please do not insult me  (I have worked with computers for 55 years) by claiming that reinstalling SMART will fix the problem when manifestly it hasn't.

1 REPLY 1
sandytechy20
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
24,951 24,832 1,368 1,456
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Saints_Fan

Welcome to the HP support community.

I reviewed the case relating to the printer not printing in color. Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting, and terrific observations made before posting.

I am not going to suggest the steps which you have already tried.

Did you update the printer firmware?

If not, try the steps mentioned in this HP document to update the printer firmware:- Click here

Once you install the printer, change the bellow settings to print in color.

1. Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button, and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.
  2. Right-click the printer that you want to use, and then click Printing Preferences.
  3. Make your choices, and then click OK.
  4. Under option Print color select color, then the OK button.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation