Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5660
macOS 10.15 Catalina

After I upgraded to Catalina OS on my 2012 version, we had no connectivity until we added HP Smart and began printing docs using that software.  After a recent Mac update, HP Smart only "sees" .pdf files on my Mac, and won't print anything, .pdf or word documents.   I can send documents to the printer, and the printer appears to be operating, but the page is blank.  It's not a cartridge issue because the test prints I initiate from the printer are fine. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@halls120

If the printer is installed using the AirPrint driver, you need not use the HP Smart app.

1. With a document open on your Mac, choose File > Print in the app you’re using.

2. Click the Printer menu, then choose your AirPrint printer.

It seems like the web services are turned ON.

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@halls120, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand you are not able to print from your Mac. Did you install the HP Smart app from the App Store?

If yes, go to App Store and check for available updates for this app. The latest version available is 12.7.1

If you are able to send the documents to the printer and it prints a blank sheet, it means the connectivity between the devices is fine.

If the test pages print fine, it means the printer hardware is working fine.

Have you tried printing different types of documents like Emails or Webpages using the AirPrint option and check if the issue persists?

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your Mac.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on Mac

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update and install any available update.

Install the printer using the AirPrint driver(recommended)

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners. 

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer. 

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button at the bottom of the list. 

4.) Click the plus sign click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name. 

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add. 

Note: Select "Bonjour multifunction" under kind while installing.

Try printing.

To resolve any print quality issues, refer to - Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar - thanks for responding to my request for assistance.  Sorry for myd elay in responding. 

We did install HP smart from the App store.  It worked for a few weeks, then all it did was print blank sheets, while test

Pages printed fine.  I updated HP smart, and tried to print.  HP smart still didn’t “see” any document except for .pdfs.  I

printed one, and the print wasn’t blank as before, but almost illegible.

I can’t print web pages or e-mails, HP Smart doesn’t “see” them

I tried to update the printer firmware directly to the printer, but my printer doesn’t have the a “printer update”

Selection, and the “Web Services” selection lacks a “Printer Update” function. 

When I went to the download firmware option on the HP website, it offers a firmware download (HP Envy 5660

e-all-in-one Printer series update 2023A, 66MB, Jul 23 2020), but while I can download it to my Mac, I can’t seem

to push it to the printer. After the download is complete, when I try to install it using the HP Firmware Updater,

after I hit “continue,” I get hours and hours of a spinning wheel, and no completion.

When I tried to update the firmware using HP Smart, it doesn’t recognize my printer, even though when

I try to print a .pdf document using the HP Smart option, it recognizes my printer. But I went ahead and tried

To get HP Smart to find my printer, all I get is the spinning wheel of death.

I will try installing AirPrint and see if that works.

HP Recommended

@halls120

HP Smart can only print PDF or Word documents. If this app is not working, kindly install the printer using the AirPrint driver as mentioned in my previous post and try printing.

Try making a standalone copy in black and color to check if that prints fine. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

To know how to update the printer firmware from the printer control panel, refer to page 31 of the User Guide

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar - I followed the instructions for Air Print, and nothing has changed.  HP Smart still only "sees" .pdf documents, and when those are printed, the documents are virtually illegible.

I went to page 31 of the use guide, and followed the instructions.

1. From the printer control panel display, touch Setup.

2. Touch Web Services Setup.

3. Touch Accept to accept the Web Services terms of use and enable Web Services.

4. In the Auto Update screen, touch Yes to allow the printer to automatically check for and install product updates.

there is no "accept" button that allows me to accept Web services terms of use and enable web services.  There is no "Auto update" screen.  The only buttons under Web services are: 1) Display e-mail address, 2) print info page, 3 HP print on/off, 4) HP printable on/off, and 5) remove web services. 

thanks

HP Recommended

@halls120

If the printer is installed using the AirPrint driver, you need not use the HP Smart app.

1. With a document open on your Mac, choose File > Print in the app you’re using.

2. Click the Printer menu, then choose your AirPrint printer.

It seems like the web services are turned ON.

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

printer is back working, thanks

HP Recommended

@halls120

Glad to know that the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.