Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 7645
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Received an "Ink Cartridges Problem" error asking me to remove and reinstall the black cartridge. I did so, and received the same error.

I then tried a new, genuine HP black cartridge and received the same error.

I then downloaded updated firmware from the HP site, but cannot get that uploaded to the printer. During the extraction process, the printer is identified but under Status, it is 'not available'. I'm guessing the firmware may not be for this exact printer in HPs 7600 series, but not sure.

I am stuck and out of options. Anyone have any advice?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hey there! @LukeBryan1, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand when you try to install a new cartridge on your printer you are getting error Ink Cartridges Problem with the printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Clean the cartridge contacts and check if it helps.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Remove, inspect, and reseat the cartridges

Press the Power button to turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

Remove any protective tape left on the cartridges, and then reinsert the cartridges, making sure that they snap securely into place.

1.Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

2.Open the cartridge access door by placing two fingers under one or both of the small handles on the sides of the cartridge access door and then lifting it up.

The Door Open screen displays on the printer control panel with the message, 'The cover or door must be closed to print. Check that it is completely closed.' A Change Ink option also displays on the bottom right corner of the touchscreen. You do not need to select this option at this time.

3.Lightly press down on one of the cartridges to release it, and then pull the cartridge toward you out of its slot.

4.Remove any protective tape that still might be on the cartridge nozzles.

Do not touch or try to remove the copper-colored electrical strip.

5.Reinsert the cartridge by sliding it at a slight upward angle into the empty slot, and then gently pushing up on the cartridge until it snaps into place.

•Reinsert the tri-color cartridge into the left slot.

•Reinsert the black cartridge into the right slot.

6.Repeat these steps to remove, inspect, and reinsert the other cartridge.

7.Close the cartridge access door. When the door is completely closed, the Door Open screen with the message, 'The cover or door must be closed to print. Check that it is completely closed.' disappears, and the printer returns to the Home screen.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot ink cartridge issues with your printer.

If the issue still persists try updating the printer firmware and check if it helps.

Link to update the printer firmware.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

New, out of the box cartridges Message:  Remove and reinstall indicated cartridge making sure correct.  I did and same message.  Reboot, same.  Suggestions?

HP Recommended

Completed all steps, still receiving message to remove and replace both color and black cartridges  

HP Recommended

Having exactly the same problem. Black cartridge printed perfectly Wednesday night. This morning got the Ink Cartidges Problem message. Tried all the steps to clean, reset printer and update drivers with no success. Bought a double-pack of brand new genuine HP cartridges—neither one works. What gives???  I have nothing left to try. 

HP Recommended

Hello, @Jbn58

Thanks for reaching out! I'm here to help 🙂

Going through your post, it looks like an issue with the printer as the new cartridges are not working. Please contact the HP phone support to get the printer service options.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I’ll do my best to help!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hello- same issue here. I followes the steps as indicated but my warranty is out and I am told I may have to pay a fee for any sort of support. Is there a way to get some sort of assitance without paying a fee? frustrated! 

HP Recommended

Same here.   Very frustrating 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.