Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I replaced the formatter and emmc board on a Managed E55040 but I can not load firmware via usb. I have tried all the tricks on the web and I have tried 3 different boards...any suggestions would be appreciated. Also can you swap these from a known good machine?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

What does it mean you can't load? At what step of firmware update do you figure out you can't load firmware? 

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

When I turn the printer on, I get error 99.39.67, Emma not bootable. I hit ok, go to administrator,  format disk, ok. Back to download, ok, usb thumbdrive, ok, insert formarred thumb drive with firmware on it and it says no USB thumb drive or files found.

HP Recommended

Have you tried to insert USB with the firmware when the printer is still OFF and then follow the procedure?

You did try with a few USB drives?

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Yes I have tried different USB drives, inserting it before and after powering it on, front USB port and back USB port. If I order a hard drive, does that eliminate the emmc?

HP Recommended

The USB light flashes when I select to download from it but then the no USB or files found message comes up. It acts like the correct firmware is not loaded but I got it from HP.

HP Recommended

The printer should recognise USB with firmware loaded and the firmware file on it no matter eMMC or HDD. The connection from the front USB thumbdrive to the main board is OK? 

When you go to firmware upload you have an option for USB and USB thumbdrive. You have selected USB thumbdrive as a firmware source? 

I am 99% sure that you can't load firmware on the back USB. 

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Yes and I have tried 2 different formatter boards. Network and USB thumb drive are the only available options. These are the 3 firmwares i have on the USB and it does not see them.

20220628_094024.jpg

HP Recommended

Is there any other way to load firmware once the emmc has been formatted?  Can you swap the formatter and Emma from another printer?

HP Recommended

From the same model yes. If you have 2 of the same model can you run firmware on 2nd printer using the same steps?

My profile on LinkedIn

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.