Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Please send me instructions as well. And I have to agree, way to make this so difficult. Job security big time!!

HP Recommended

I just moved and got new internt. I need help factory resetting this thing so I can use it. 

I have a laser Jet Pro MFP M28-M31

HP Recommended

Hi @Kidd5630,

I'd like to help!

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Asmita, I recently bought a HP LaserJet Pro MFP M28w Printer, and I do not know the password. Could you maybe help me reset the whole thing so I can make it my own printer? 

HP Recommended

Hey, could I have these factory reset instructions as well? I lost the password to my LaserJet MFP M29w. (I started a new thread earlier, but just saw this thread seems like a better spot.)

HP Recommended

@McMaster2020, @PrintersAreFun

I have sent a private message with the steps to perform the reset. Kindly check the same.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I think I got instructions for a different printer. (Something about a touch screen, which isn't on the M29w.)

If anyone has instructions that work on the M29w, please send them my way. 🙂

HP Recommended

@PrintersAreFun 

There is no option to perform an NVRAM reset on a HP LaserJet Pro MFP M29w Printer. To know how to reset to factory settings, refer to page 60 of the user guide.

If that does not help, please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service options for your printer. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Kumar0307

No offense, but that isn't correct. The M28, M29, M30, and M31 are all the same thing. The M29w just has wifi support and one or two extra buttons, that's it. None of them have a touchscreen. Somehow everyone else on this thread received the correct instructions, and now suddenly there's no way to do it?

I've already read the manual in the link you just provided. Those instructions would require me to know the password already. There is a sequence of button presses that will reset that password, even if it's not technically called an "NVram reset." Those are the instructions I need.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@PrintersAreFun

I will resend the reset instructions, kindly try the same and let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.