Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540 Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am unable to access the printer properties from HP Assistant or any other application.  I get this error message:

Function address 0x6256a388 caused a protection fault. (exception code Oxe06d7363)

I have reinstalled all the printer software.  Nothing I have done will make this go away.  Thanks for any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@LivinHi

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out,

I'm the Flower_Bud & I'm at your service.

I understand you're getting an error message while trying to print. Don't worry, I'll try my best to help you resolve the problem 🙂

Does this happen while making a photocopy? 

When was the last time it worked fine?

Are you able to print from another Windows PC?

I would suggest you uninstall printer drivers and reinstall using Windows Built in drivers: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01796879

For scanning purpose, you could download HP Scan and Capture apphttps://support.hp.com/vn-en/document/c04675206.

Let me know how this goes,

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@LivinHi

Thank you for being a part of HP Forums. 

It'll be an honor to guide you through the steps needed to fix your concern or address your query 😉 

As I understand you are unable to access the printer properties,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Have you reinstalled the drivers using the root level technique?
  • Did you create a new user account and check if the printer properties is accessible on it?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

• Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present. 
  • Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.

Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: CLICK HERE

If the issue persists, create a new user account and check if it works on it.

Keep me posted,

For I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, if you don't get back to us 😉 

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestions.  I created a new user account like you suggested.  I was able to access the printer properties from the new account.  I guess this isolates the problem to my original account?  I still need to resolve this issue because the new account doesn't have access to all my files.  I need to be able to access the printer properties from my account.  Any suggestions as to how to fix this?

HP Recommended

@LivinHi

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad its working with the new user account, the possibilities are high that the old user account has corrupt system files causing the issue, hence I wouldn't recommend using it, for the important files however, you may transfer it to your new account:

Click here for steps (Same steps works on Windows 10 as well)

Keep us posted, 

(We shall troubleshoot as a team, fight till the end and emerge victorious) 😉

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I spoke to soon. I could access the printer properties but it locked up with the same error message again before I could print. I was able to print a photo but it printed in black & white and used the wrong paper tray. I've done everything you have suggested with no positive result. I 've spent too much time trying to fix this. It's frustrating. .
HP Recommended

@LivinHi

It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out,

I'm the Flower_Bud & I'm at your service.

I understand you're getting an error message while trying to print. Don't worry, I'll try my best to help you resolve the problem 🙂

Does this happen while making a photocopy? 

When was the last time it worked fine?

Are you able to print from another Windows PC?

I would suggest you uninstall printer drivers and reinstall using Windows Built in drivers: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01796879

For scanning purpose, you could download HP Scan and Capture apphttps://support.hp.com/vn-en/document/c04675206.

Let me know how this goes,

Good Luck!

HP Recommended

Does this happen while making a photocopy?  Yes.  When I select printer properties I get the error message I gave in my earlier post.  The computer then locks up and I have to go to Task Manager to end task.  The program closes and I can restart it again.

When was the last time it worked fine ? A few weeks ago.  I'm only home on weekends.

Are you able to print from another Windows PC? Yes, I have been able to print from my laptop with no problem.  My desktop with all my photos is the one with the problem.  

Thanks for the help!

HP Recommended

@LivinHi

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Please try the steps suggested and keep me posted 🙂

Have a great day 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your help.  I have followed all your suggestions and finally the problem seems to be resolved.  I am now able to access my printer properties  and print excellent quality photos again.  Thank you!!!

HP Recommended

@LivinHi

It looks like you were interacting with @Flower_Bud, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Barachiel & I'm at your service.

Hurray!!! I'm delighted to hear that it's working! Feel free to reach out to us again. Have a great day. 🙂

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead. 

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.