Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

I am trying to find a cable that matches the port on the back of the HP LJ1100 and converts to USB so I can connect my printer directly to my Mac.

I cannot find the proper name/description of the parallel port/cable used by HP for this particular printer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

It's called mini centronics 36 pin 

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

I would advise that your best option in terms of compatibility and actually getting it to work would be to find a centronics to mini adapter and then use a parallel print server adapter to connect the printer via network.

https://www.amazon.ca/Centronics-Mini-Centronics-HPCen36-IEEE1284-Parallel/dp/B001JYVEW4

https://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-Ethernet-Parallel-Network-PM1115P2/dp/B00HJZEAC8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=...

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi,  Thanks for the info.  So, the adapter first will plug into the physical port on the printer.  Then the Ethernet server will plug into the adapter.  Then I will only need an Ethernet cable to add the printer to my network.  Yes?

I just want to make sure I understand as these items are a tad costly and the printer is pretty old.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Still trying.  I have acquired the Parallel Printer Adapter and a USB to Parallel IEEE 1284 Printer Adapter/Converter Cable.

Once connected to my Mac, the printer is recognized in System Preferences and successfully added to the list of available printers.

However, when I send a print job to it, the processing data light just keeps flashing and nothing prints.  The print queue indicates the printer is offline.

What am I missing?

HP Recommended

You will likely have to try a couple of drivers to find one that works. https://www.argecy.com/hp-laserjet-1100-printer-series The data suggests it only supports PCL so you will need to make sure the driver does.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Are there drivers available at the argent link?  Not finding them.  

HP Recommended

Argecy

HP Recommended

HI,

Well, the StarTech PM1115P2 arrived this morning so, now I have successfully added the HP LaserJet to my local network.  I have added the print server to my available printers on my iMac.  The network sees the server (printer) but it will not print.   I can send a print job to it but the print queue will eventually say "The Printer Is Not Responding."

I feel I am close but just not there yet.  Again, what am I missing?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Suggestions? 

I have also successfully added the printer to my Synology NAS which would give our Apple devices access to the printer, but though properly setup and recognized by my Mac and iPhone, nothing prints.  I have to be close.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.