Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
DeskJet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

EDIT: I probably got way too upset. It seems the software is installed successfully, it just suggests (in a misleading way)  that HP Smart is required when it's not. I have a separate issue on a single PC where the scanner still isn't recognized, but it works fine on other PCs, so it's an unrelated issue. So as far as I understand, the only HP software for scanning is included now in HP Smart, which is a shame, but the driver seems to work fine and allow other software to scan properly. Consider this solved.

I would like to use the full functionality of the printer I bought, the DeskJet 3830, without having to link it to any HP account.
Trying to use HP Smart requires to link to an online account to simply scan a page, so I tried to installing the regular software suite - I prefer the good old dumb versions of the software.

In the good old days, you'd download an EXE, install the software, and happily use the printer. Nowadays it seems like a much more joyful process.

I downloaded the software pack, DJ3830_Full_WebPack_40.11.1124.exe.

Weighting 160mb, surely that's the full driver including all the software needed to use the printer.
After a long installation and a short wizard suggesting to configure the fax, at the "activation" step, the software decided to suggest me to "Install the latest HP Smart software". It doesn't matter if HP Smart is installed. Of course this isn't a suggestion - the wizard simply ends, suggesting to install either HP Smart or HP Easy Start. Since my whole purpose is to avoid using HP Smart, I decided to install HP Easy Start as suggested. So, following the instructions I downloaded this software, only to get another setup wizard. After a long process, it decided to suggest me to install HP Smart (recommended!), install the full driver suite - leading to the same DJ3830_Full_WebPack_40.11.1124.exe download - or for a smaller, basic driver. Of course choosing the full suite options leads to the same loop - the helpful wizard ends with a "suggestion" to download HP Smart or Easy Start. I also tried downloading the basic driver, but it ended in the exact same screen.

So, what is the purpose of the full driver (DJ3830_Full_WebPack_40.11.1124.exe)? Is it just to waste your customer's time? How can I use the printer I bought to scan documents, other than connecting to your cloud (no thanks) or using the web UI, currently the only functional part of this printer?

Thanks.

HP1.pngHP2.png

https://imgur.com/Z4Lo38M

https://imgur.com/91ROtot

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@AlexIW

Welcome to the HP support community.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.