Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4523
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I used to click my printer icon, I was presented with a few printer tasks, e.g. scan, check ink levels, etc... Until recently, these tasks have disappeared and the menu/page just says “no tasks available” or something similar.

Not sure if it may be related but I had a Lenovo all-in-one device that was then set as default, which I never had set before.

Thinking there was a minor issue with the printer, I completely un-installed the device and proceeded to re-install it. I went through the various installation screens and the setup gets stuck on a screen saying I cannot add the printer to my network. Both the computer and printer are all connected to the same network. Using the HP Smart app to install it, the app says it’s installed. However, with the printer listed under Devices, it says it’s missing the driver.

I have tried re-installing several times and it looks like there are two (maybe unrelated) issues... no driver installed and the printer cannot be added to the network.

Does anybody have any advice or guidance?

I’m not sure if HP have some kind of feature where a technician can take control of my computer and navigate around it to help sort it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, I don’t know how or why but it is now sorted.

For some reason, the computer and printer were just not connecting even though they’re both on the same network and have been for ages. Not sure if some kind of Windows update nudged this setting. After going back onto the computer and setup tonight, it managed to find and add it. Have tested it a few times and all appears to be working.

Something I have noticed is that you can no longer ‘scan’ from the printers task list. I’ve had to download the HP Smart app and it looks like all the settings and features are now there. Hopefully the problems will not come back.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Well, I don’t know how or why but it is now sorted.

For some reason, the computer and printer were just not connecting even though they’re both on the same network and have been for ages. Not sure if some kind of Windows update nudged this setting. After going back onto the computer and setup tonight, it managed to find and add it. Have tested it a few times and all appears to be working.

Something I have noticed is that you can no longer ‘scan’ from the printers task list. I’ve had to download the HP Smart app and it looks like all the settings and features are now there. Hopefully the problems will not come back.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.