Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 7134
Other

on MacOS Big Sur (11.0) my HP ENVY 7134 cannot be nstalled as an airprint printer. I can print a limited set of document types using the HP Smart app and it works fine on all other devices on the network (MacOS Catalina, Linux, iOS, etc). So it's not a network conectivity issue. On my Macbook air with Big Sur I cannot get the printer installed. HP Smart shows the printer, it can get the printer information and it can even print. But t shows as "uninstalled" and I cannot get it installed. When I try to add the printer in MacOS system preferences/printers it is not found... I tried all suggestions fund on the HP support site to no avail. I have spent hours already and I am getting really frustrated.... I hope someone has a good suggestion.... thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@HGR14, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To be able to assist you better, I'd like to know the following-

• Are the printer and PC connected to the same network?
  • Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz?
  • What is the distance between the router and the printer?
  • Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer?
  • Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results?

Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display.

The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Share the ping test results and the screenshot with us.

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'. 

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the follow-up.

Printer and computer are connected to the same network. HP Smart app finds the printer but lists it as uninstalled. if I then want to install it using the MacOS system preferences, it is not found.  Router is dual band and is close enough to the printer. I can print with all other devices in the house (2 other Macs, a linux laptop, iPhones, iPad). Only tihs new Mac refuses to install the wifi printer.

Pinging the printer does not work (timout on the new macbook, but pining from a linux laptop on the same network does work.

There is no anti-virus software installed. The wifi info:

HGR14_0-1611334926217.png

I don't think it's a wifi issue, but the fact that I cannot pin the printer is strange. I can ping other computers (which can print) on the network.

thanks again

Hans

HP Recommended

Hi, I solved the problem on macbook air with a hint I found on another HP support forum. Complerely removed and reinstalled all HP software. That did it. But now the printer does not respond to my iPad anymore...... keeps giving me headaches....

HP Recommended

@HGR14, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Are you using HP Smart App or AirPrint option to print from your iPad?

Keep me posted.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

hi,

the problem was the following:

1) when printing using any app (airprint) from my ipad or iphone I got the message that my printer was offline (after a long waiting time). But it wasn't because it would respond to any other device.

2) When trying to scan from the built in flatbed scanner using HP Smart app, I got one of two responses:

- a message that the printer did not support this feature and I should select another device (duh)

- a spinning wheel with the word 'processing' that would not stop until I quit the app

However, upon seeing your message I tried it again from my ipad, and to my surprise: it works again! So the problem is not easily reproduced but it is frustrating nonetheless. Not that my livelihood depends on it but I would just like for the darn thing to work always. Warranty period ended a few days ago.

Mysterious.....

best,

Hans

HP Recommended

@HGR14

I understand. Now that it is working let us keep it under observation for a few days and see how that goes.

Let me know 🙂

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.