Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 7645
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

My HP ENVY 7645 printer stopped printing and scanning. After hours on the telephone with AT&T, Apple and HP (they only want to sell me a new printer). I am still in disbelief that I can't use my otherwise trouble free printer that's 4 1/2 years old. Here are the changes that recently occurred.

1. AT&T upgraded my internet to 5G, however they mage a split that I can still connect to 2.4G. My internet is working fine.

2. I upgraded my MacBook Pro to the latest and greatest software Big Sur 11.3.1 

3. I uploaded all of the drivers and firmware from HP (that the system would allow me to. There was one item that it wouldn't allow me to upload. (HP's answer to this is that my printer is too old.)

I have a perfectly great printer that I have never had an issue with and I have a lot of unused ink. For me a year or tows worth. Non of the places I spoke with could help me any more that they have already. HP being the one that just wants me to by a new printer (that would of course render the new ink cartridges I already have useless)

Is there another way to hook up my computer to get it to work? Right now it is set for wireless printing as it was from the beginning. I was wondering if somehow hooking it up "wired" would get it to work? Would I need to do anything to the settings? Would I need to worry about the upgraded Big Sur software or the fact that it is 5G/2.4G?  I am not opposed to getting another printer at some point but would like to at least use this printer until I've used all of the ink I have. There is not other issues with this printer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @MaggieKL,

I'd like to help!

Be sure to connect your printer and computer to the 2.4 GHz networks, As the printer does not support the 5GHz network.

Do you have an Anti-virus/firewall installed on the Mac? If yes, disable the same for time being.

Try the below suggestions -

Try updating mac and printer firmware

To update the printer's firmware, refer - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

To update Mac, try these steps - How to update the software on your Mac

Uninstall HP Easy Start

• Click on Spotlight icon and type HP Uninstaller or by opening HP Easy Start.
  • Click on Continue to uninstall the software.
  • When prompted for Password, type in your system password
  • You can also uninstall by opening HP Easy Start.

Download HP Easy Start and install the printer.

You can also install the HP Smart App from the App store and print and scan using the app.

You may also add the AirPrint printer to the Mac printer queue

Add the Air Print printer to the Mac printer queue

Confirm you are using Air Print by adding the printer in System Preferences.

1. Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.
  2. Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, and then do one of the following steps.
    • If your printer is listed, remove and re-add the printer to confirm it is set up for Air Print. Click the printer name, click the minus sign "-" to delete the printer, click the plus sign "+"click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name and then continue to the next step.
    • If your printer is not listed, click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, and then continue to the next step.
  3. Confirm Air Print or Secure Air Print displays in the Use or Print Using menu, and then click Add.
  4. Open a document or photo, click File, and then click Print.

If you'd like to set up the printer via USB, refer to -HP printer setup (USB cable)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

This does not help.. Apparently the problem I wrote about wasn't read carefully. Of course I am using the 2.4g! That is why I paid to have this created!! I already told you this, why repeat what I already told you about? This just adds to the frustration.

The problem I was told is the compatibility with the latest and greatest version of MAC OS BIG SUR 11.3.1 for Mac. I gave all of this info in my original question. 

The computer is not finding the printer at all after all trouble shooting.

I also asked if there are cables/connections that I should have and NOT use the printer/scanner wirelessly? Will it work then? And what are the exact steps, all of them, to make this work? 

Why can't I talk to a person about this? I am so frustrated. I have a lot of money invested in this printer/scanner with all of the ink purchased as well and can't seem to get any help.

The last answer is telling me everything I already know and did. 

HP Recommended

You can connect a USB between the printer and computer to print and scan, the relevant document was suggested in the original post.

I have attached the document in this post as well, refer to -HP printer setup (USB cable)

As per your question, your printer is compatible via wireless setup with MAC OS 11.3, you may check for drivers here ( which was also mentioned in the original post )

The reason for the above steps is to make sure to delete any old drivers before adding new ones, as existing drivers might throw an error.

You may also try the below steps to resolve the network connectivity issue-

1.) Remove All Barriers: Certain building materials can get in the way of weaker signals like Bluetooth. Metal, bulletproof glass, concrete, and plaster are particularly bad, and marble, plaster and brick aren’t great easy. So if you’re really struggling with interference, your first step should be to move your Bluetooth devices away from these materials. That means no brick walls between you and your devices, and definitely no metal desks!

2.) Change Router Channel: If you have an Apple router and you’re constantly getting interference with your WiFi, try rebooting it. Upon restart, the station will search for a new channel. Specifically, a different channel than the one your Bluetooth devices is using to communicate. If you don’t have an Apple router, you may need to instead go into your router settings and try changing the channel manually. Experiment with different channels to see which one works best.

3.) Move Closer to Your Router: If you often find that you’re getting interference when talking on a wireless headset while on a WiFi call (you’ll know because you’ll hear static), try moving closer to your router. This will give you a more robust WiFi connection, so the Bluetooth frequency can’t overpower it.

4.) Get Away From Microwaves and Fluorescent Lighting: Both emit frequencies of 2.4GHz, and moving away from them will distance you from the source.

I'd like to know the following to isolate the issue further-

1.) Are the printer and Mac connected to the same network?

2.) Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? If yes, make sure the dual band has different SSIDs for 2.4G and 5G networks.

3.) What is the distance between the router and the printer?

4.) Is there an antivirus software installed on your Mac?

5.) Could you perform a ping test  and let me know the results? Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display.

Perform a ping test to check the connectivity

1. Click Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
  2. Type ping -c <number of times to ping> <IP address>. 

The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Share the ping test results and the screenshot with us.

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.  Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems. 

Hope this helps, keep me posted!

HP Recommended

1.) Are the printer and Mac connected to the same network?  YES, of course

2.) Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? If yes, make sure the dual band has different SSIDs for 2.4G and 5G networks.  YES I ALREADY SAID THIS.  I had AT&T create a 2.4 network.

3.) What is the distance between the router and the printer? The same  as it has been since I had it for 4 and a half years. About 10 feet. 

4.) Is there an antivirus software installed on your Mac? NO! It is a MAC! No virus program needed or on my computer.

5.) Could you perform a ping test  and let me know the results? Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display. I have no idea what a ping test is! I am asking for help. I am not a technical person. I asked if I could call and talk to you.  I talked to your office one, eight hundred 4746836. After talking to them twice HP TOLD ME THAT THE PRINTER WILL NOT WORK WITH  MY COMPUTER. They said it is obsolete! They said the reason that the firmware and drivers will not up load is because of the MacOS Big Sur 11.3.1 and that my HP ENVY 7645 is obsolete. I took your advice and took off all of the HP software on my computer and tried the reinstall as if it was a new printer and tried the driver and firmware update. I get an error message that it can't update.

Again, I am not a computer tech or printer tech. I have followed all of the directions you sent. I have no idea what pinging is. When I did the reinstall my computer did find the printer, BUT it will not update nor will it scan or print items from my computer.

I have used this computer successfuly since I got it 4 years ago. I have always been very,  very happy with it. Since the Bid sur upgrade and the upgrade to 5 G. The issues began. LIKE I SAID ALREADY, I had AT&T add a 2G and this is exactly what I am connecting my computer to. I would love to talk to someone to help guide me through this and make this work until I at least can use all the expensive ink (over $200.00 worth) then buy another printer.

I thought maybe I could connect it the old fashioned way with a (hard?, wired?) connection and get it to work. I am lost! You are making me think I can get this to work, but 2 others at HP are saying no. I don't know what is the truth. If I can call and talk to you it would be great or if yo could call me from my records with you. 

I appreciate all yo are trying to do but I think there is a little miscommunication. Thanks

HP Recommended

Thank you for trying.

The ping test is performed to check if the printer is able to communicate with the computer and also if there are on the same network.

Perform a ping test to check the connectivity

1. Click Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
  2. Type ping -c <number of times to ping> <IP address>. 

Let's try and Add the AirPrint printer to the Mac printer queue

Add the Air Print printer to the Mac printer queue

Confirm you are using Air Print by adding the printer in System Preferences.

1. Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.
  2. Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, and then do one of the following steps.
    • If your printer is listed, remove and re-add the printer to confirm it is set up for Air Print. Click the printer name, click the minus sign "-" to delete the printer, click the plus sign "+"click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name and then continue to the next step.
    • If your printer is not listed, click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, and then continue to the next step.
  3. Confirm Air Print or Secure Air Print displays in the Use or Print Using menu, and then click Add.
  4. Open a document or photo, click File, and then click Print.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

HP Recommended

I have already done every single one of these things and have mentioned all in the past posts. As for the ping test. I still don't know what you are talking about BUT the computer and printer and router are all right next to each other there are no flourescent lights or anything at all like that AND I already told you that the computer does pick up the printer just like I have been telling you over and over! 

It just will not work or print or scan!!!!!! It just shows ERROR.

I've been through this with your call center.

Why is it that they tell me to get a new printer and try to sell me one and you are sounding like it will work?

Please bring this up to upper management.

Does HP really care?

I feel I need to bring this up to NBC, CBS and ABC news channels to get a correct answer. So it is exposed how HP treats it's loyal customers. This is insane!

I clearly asked, would using this "wired" work? What sort of "WIRE" would I need? Why didn't a "WIRE" come with the printer?

What does the wire look like and if this is something that would actually make this work, where are the exact instructions for this?

PLEASE ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS. Thanks

HP Recommended

You can connect the printer and the computer using a USB cable, an image of the able is below -

Follow the steps in the document to set the printer using a USB, refer to -HP printer setup (USB cable)

Hope this helps!

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

I already told you that I STILL haven't received the cord to try to connect wired. HP didn't include a cord in the box to printer came in. They are absolutely no help with anything. So I am waiting for one that I had to order and pay for myself. I already asked that this problem be escalated to a manager or if there is anyone in the company that cares. You can be sure that this will be reported to the news outlets and that HP will never be a product that I would recommend because of the lack of communication. This entire ordeal is insane and should be. All I want to do at this point is to get this printer to work one way or the other since I have a few hundred dollars worth of ink that I purchased and don't want to be out the cost of the ink as well as the printer. All your company is interested in is CLOSING A TICKET and making me buy a new printer with of course NEW INK since your printers always take different kind of ink cartridges with is a scam to consumers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.