Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5545
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Envy 5545 stopped printing in color when using the wireless connection. It has only been in use for 2 weeks, and it just stopped showing the color option in the printing setup when using the wireless network. It is still there when I plug in the usb cable. The drivers and software have been removed and reinstalled 3 times and no change. I noticed the printer was auto-updating a few days ago, could that have changed a stting? 

I have been reading post going back over a year, so I know this is a common issue. I would hope by now someone would have figured out the problem and patched the software. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Reinstalling the Built-in Drivers again, did not have any affect.   However, this did!

I opened up the Devices and Printers from the control panel. I right clicked on the Network printer, and then clicked open at the top. The page that opened has an option to "Customize Your Printer". I opened that, and at the far right is "Device settings".  The last option is "Automatic Configuration" set to off. I changed it to "Update Now". It only stayed there for a few seconds, but that was enough time to reset the color options on the printer.  

The shorter route to this fix is, right click on the printer in the control panel, and go directly to "Printer Porperties" 6th down from the top, not the one at the bottom, and then "Device Settings" and "Automatic Configuration". Now spread the word.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@fjmurrell

Greetings!

Welcome to the HP Community. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. I have reviewed your post and I understand, there's an issue with the printer settings.

Don't worry, I'm here to help! 

Let's try these steps -

Step 1 HP Print and Scan Doctor -

Click on this link to download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor.

Step 2 Re-install the printer drivers -

1) In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program". 
2) Look for HP Printer software. 
3) Right-click to uninstall. 
4) In the search box, type 
and open “Devices and printers”. 
5) In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”. 
6) Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.  
7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”). 
8) Click on the "Drivers" tab. 
9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom. 
10) Select Ok. 
11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows. 
12) Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed. 
13) Restart the computer. 
14) Download and install the software and drivers from here.

Hope this helps!

Let me know how that goes.

To thank us for our efforts to help you, click here to access your public post and Select - "Accept as solution" and click on the blue "Thumbs up".  

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was hoping that the 6th time would be different than the previous 5 times. I followed everything to the "T" and still no color option when I click on printer preferences, when using the wireless (network) connection.  It was there for the first two weeks I had the printer, and just disappeared a week ago. 

Any other ideas? As I said before, this is a known issue, how can there not be a fix for it.

HP Recommended

@fjmurrell

Thanks for getting back.

Please try installing the built-in drivers.

Keep me posted.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Reinstalling the Built-in Drivers again, did not have any affect.   However, this did!

I opened up the Devices and Printers from the control panel. I right clicked on the Network printer, and then clicked open at the top. The page that opened has an option to "Customize Your Printer". I opened that, and at the far right is "Device settings".  The last option is "Automatic Configuration" set to off. I changed it to "Update Now". It only stayed there for a few seconds, but that was enough time to reset the color options on the printer.  

The shorter route to this fix is, right click on the printer in the control panel, and go directly to "Printer Porperties" 6th down from the top, not the one at the bottom, and then "Device Settings" and "Automatic Configuration". Now spread the word.

HP Recommended

@fjmurrell

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad you found the solution for this concern.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.