Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7640
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello- I purchased a HP Envy 7640 a few months ago. I finally had time to take it out of the box to set it up. I got everything unpacked, and plugged in the power cord. When I try to turn the printer on, the LCD display on the printer flashes for a second, then goes blank. The printer does not make any noise, and the LCD touchscreen is non responsive. I have tried to plug the cord into other outlets around the house with the same results. Any help would be appreciated. Unfortunately, I do not have to box, so trying to return it to the Staples store where I bought it is no longer an option.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I suggest contacting HP support to get a DOA approval.

You may contact HP by filling the form below, be sure to select your location:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/HP-ENVY-7640-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/6617267/mod...

An agent should be able to provide you any applicable option for your location, I would assume a DOA replacement should be possible without the box as the box from the replacement unit can be returned with the defective printer...

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

I suggest contacting HP support to get a DOA approval.

You may contact HP by filling the form below, be sure to select your location:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/HP-ENVY-7640-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/6617267/mod...

An agent should be able to provide you any applicable option for your location, I would assume a DOA replacement should be possible without the box as the box from the replacement unit can be returned with the defective printer...

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi-

Thank you for the link. I put in the serial number of the printer, and unfortunately, it is out of warranty (as of Nov 2015).

I should point out that the printer has been sitting in a box since my sister bought it at our local Staples. I didn't have a use for it until recently. I figured that I would be able to take it out of the box, set it up, and get going. Much to my surprise, the printer was dead when I took it out of the box.

When I completed the form from the link, I was given a case number and a telephone number to call. I called the number, and spoke with a customer service representative. He basically told me that the printer was out of warranty, and that there was nothing that HP could do. That was disappointing. I'm sure that it wouldn't take much for HP to look at the printer, and verify that it had NEVER been used, so I'm not trying to get a free printer out of this. I am trying to get what I paid for, and since I waited to connect the printer, it looks like I'm out of luck. The customer service rep then tried to tell me that the printer has a "life", even though it sat it the box for all of this time. He said that the electronics in the printer will wear out, even if they are not being used. I find that very hard to believe.

I have been a loyal HP customer for over 20 years....starting with the HP DeskJet 970cxi. I am disappointed with the lack of customer service that I received for a printer that I didn't even get to use. I'm going to go look at Epson and Canon printers to find a replacement.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.