Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp deskjet f4480
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an older HP Desktop PC, model P6510F. For the last year and a half, after unwittngly choosing a free Windows 10 upgrade, I have been putting out small fires to make the system run properly.  After yet another Windows 10 update, my HP Deskjet F4480 would not print.  After doing some troubleshooting, I was able to download software that got it back to printing.  What I just figured out is that I have lost HP Solution Centre, and cannot scan or copy because I can't get into that. The message is that it is not completely installed, and it recommends reinstalling with the original CD.  I have tried that but it only shows me an exit option instead of the install.

I have now gone to HP Support, downloaded the full set of recommended drivers and software for Windows 10 and this printer, and when it tries to do the install, it can't.  It begins the process, starts to check the system, makes me agree to clicking okay to every step, makes me agree to accept all settings and changes, then says that some files must be deleted to complete the installation.  To do this, I must restart the computer.  When I do, the installation continues, but never gets to preparing the system for installation - it keeps cycling through the agreements and restarting, never completing the install.

Is there an easy fix for a non-techy to get this printer functioning fully again?  From what I remember, it cost me $30, and has been amazing until running into Windows 10.  Is it time to just buy another Windows 10-compatible all-in-one printer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@oldpeoplerule, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned you are comfortable in trying the steps suggested.

I would suggest you contact HP phone support, they should be able to take remote of your PC and help you with printer installation.

Also, refer this article to know more information about solution center missing after windows 10 update.

Link to contact HP.

Take Care!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @oldpeoplerule

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I understand that you are unable to install your printer driver after a Windows 10 update

I'd like to help.

I suggest you start with a Printer Reset

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.
(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
 NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Then uninstall the Printer driver from Root level

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and download the Full Feature Software from Here and follow the onscreen Instructions

Keep me posted how it goes.

Thank you 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" 

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions....just finished trying this, but was unsuccessful.  When I get into the drivers tab, and select the HP Deskjet F4400 series driver to remove, it asks me to choose between driver only and driver and driver package to be removed.  Either choice will not be allowed, as I get a message that says driver is in use, or driver and driver package are in use.  An additional message says UNABLE TO REMOVE HP DESKJET F4400 SERIES, X64, TYPE3-USER MODE DRIVER. THE SPECIFIED DRIVER IS CURRENTLY IN USE.

Any idea what this means?  I did the Printer Reset, and once out of the devices and printers window, I still tried the full feature software download and install again, but got right back into the endless loop that I originally outlined.

Is my machine too outdated for all of this?...or my printer?  It is eight years old, but has been amazingly good.

HP Recommended

Hi @oldpeoplerule, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @KrazyToad, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

As you mentioned when you try to uninstall the driver you are getting an error THE SPECIFIED DRIVER IS CURRENTLY IN USE.

Try the steps recommended below.

1. First, remove the printer in "Devices and Printers"

2. Then stop the print spooler service.
Click Start, type Services.msc in the Search box or Click WIN+Q, type “Services.msc” in the open box
Double-click Printer Spooler in the list
Click on Start, In the Startup Type list, make sure that “stop” is selected and click OK

3. In registry open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Print Processors\

4. Rename all Print Processors that are listed. Like Winprint to Winprint.old, Hpcpp107 to Hpcpp107.old, and others.

5. Start the print spooler services again.

6. Remove the driver pack from printer control panel.

7. Reopened registry location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Print Processors\

8. Renamed back all Print Processors back to Winprint.old to Winprint, Hpcpp107.old to Hpcpp107, and others.

9. Restart print spooler

10. Install new printer drivers using this link.

11. Try printing.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks again....I will try this tonight after work, but it sounds very techy to me....I can follow this?

Just want to confirm that the printer is printing fine (I printed off your suggestions)....the problem is that I cannot access HP Solution Centre (says the device installation is not complete), so I am unable to copy or scan.

Will your recommended fix repair that?

HP Recommended

As you mentioned you cannot access HP solution center on your PC.

HP solution center will not correctly with Windows 10. HP solution center is replaced with HP print assistant.

Try the steps suggest from my previous thread and check if it helps.

Also, you can try the steps recommended below.

Method 1: Change the service type to Automatic.

a.       Press Windows +R keys.

b.      Type services.msc in the box and press enter.

c.       Now locate services called Print Spooler, make sure the services are Started and set to Automatic.

d.      To set the service to automatic, right click on the service and click automatic.

e.       Click Apply and then click Ok.

Method 2

Follow these steps to run the Windows in built troubleshooter:

a)      Write Troubleshooting in the search box and hit enter.

b)      Click on Troubleshooting tab.

c)      Click on view all option on the upper left corner.

d)      Select the Printer option from the list.

e)      Click Next to run the Troubleshooter.

Hope this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I began to attempt the fix recommended in the Tuesday Mar. 13 5:58 AM response....this is not a non-techy exercise...more detail is necessary for someone like me, for instance - I found the printer spooler stop after a little guessing, but the registry instruction took a few minutes...I had to figure out it was Windows Registry, and doing some research before trying anything revealed that this was scary stuff....it distinctly said it was not for the novices...one wrong move would render the computer useless.  I am not going to even try that part.

The latest response I got said that HP Solution Centre would not work with Windows 10.  It has been all along until my last update.  I see no point in continuing to try to get my scan and copy printer functions going again, as a future automatic Windows 10 update may just undue the fix and leave me in the same situation.

If I just buy a new printer with scan and copy capabilities, HP or otherwise, that is compatible with Windows 10, will I be able to carry on trouble free with this older P6510F desktop PC?

Is uninstalling Windows 10 after saving what I really need, and then reinstalling Windows XP (the computer's original OS) an option?

I do not want to have to keep trying these fixes.  Life is not for sitting in front of computer monitors.

HP Recommended

As you mentioned you are comfortable in trying the steps suggested.

I would suggest you contact HP phone support, they should be able to take remote of your PC and help you with printer installation.

Also, refer this article to know more information about solution center missing after windows 10 update.

Link to contact HP.

Take Care!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Many thanks for the various replies.  My frustration has been ended with a simple downloading of Windows Scan...who knew?  I assume now Windows 10 has taken over doing my scans instead of HP Solution Centre, which I am still unable to completely reinstall.  Doing this last week would have saved me hours of time sitting at this screen....life waits for no man.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@oldpeoplerule, Thanks for your prompt response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us again.

As you mentioned after installing windows scan your issue got resolved.

I am happy to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.