Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet MFP M234
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 and older

Hi, HP LaserJet MFP M234dw. There is an issue with drivers on Windows Server 2012R2. Using "HP Smart Universal Printing Driver for Windows V3" the printer refuses to print over TCP/IP - there is quick light flash and a click sound, but printing does not start. The only driver that works is "HP LaserJet MFP M129-M134 PCLmS"- which is designed for other printer models. W10 and W2016 works fine with Smart universal driver though.

Anyone else has these issues?

Why the universal driver does not work for W8 / W2012? What other proprietary drivers I could use?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The issue is that this printer only supports PCLm5 protocol drivers and UPD drivers are PCL6 or Postscript. That is the reason you are finding only that one driver actually works with the printer.

Repairatrooper_0-1663690085160.png

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @temnymantak

Welcome to HP Support Community. This is a great place to post questions find answers and tips.
Thank you for posting your query. I will be glad to help you.

I see that you are facing driver issues with HP LaserJet MFP M234dw Printer when connected to Microsoft Windows Server 2012.

Please download and install the drivers from this link below depending upon the 32bit or 64 bit operating system installed on the computer:

1. HP Smart Universal Printing Driver for Windows V3 (64-bit)

2. HP Smart Universal Printing Driver for Windows V3 (32-bit)

Let me know if this helps.
Take care and have a great day ahead.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hello, 

of course I have tried these drivers- I even wrote that in the original post.  I also wrote that using these drivers the printer makes a quick led flash, but printing does not start. 

Oh, how I wish I knew that these printers don't know PCL/PS before I bought them. These "smart" drivers are really pain. 

HP Recommended

Hi @temnymantak

Thank you for the reply.

We need to provide the solution to this issue in a private message as this information cannot be shared on a public post.

I have sent you a private message with this information. 

In order to access your private messages, click the Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link 

Keep me posted and have a nice day!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

Have a great day ahead!

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

The customer support is like the Catch 22 - I wanted to get support in written form, started messenger chat, after explaining everything was asked to do a phone call, replied I am deaf, was given a link https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_3694186-3577795-16?fbclid=IwAR1sYeiich_ESuYXTNURtn3Oh4Fqob... telling me if I am outside US (or dont't want to use some weird TRS), I need to make a phone call 😄 The HP can't afford someone who can write?

HP Recommended

The issue is that this printer only supports PCLm5 protocol drivers and UPD drivers are PCL6 or Postscript. That is the reason you are finding only that one driver actually works with the printer.

Repairatrooper_0-1663690085160.png

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Nice! Finally an answer that explains something. Thanks a lot!

So I'd need to look for PCLmS drivers. Still not understand why the Smart Hyper Mega Cool  v3 driver does not actually work though- if it's bug or feature maybe this should be mentioned in the driver download page. 

HP Recommended

The issue is that the PCLm5 driver is similar to the older GDI driver where the printer has very limited processing capabilities and processing is done in the computer not the printer. A standard printer that supports a standard driver has a full PCL interpreter built in.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.