Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro M1132 Multifunction Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I am aware of the Windows 10 update KB5014666 issue with USB printers but I have tried all offered solutions that I can find to no avail.

Using a TOSHIBA Satellite laptop with Windows 10 32-bit OS.

I suspect the Windows update is the problem as my printer was installed and working fine without any trouble before June 28.

Using the latest full service installation package (after uninstalling and removing any HP devices and rebooting), the installation recognises and installs the scanner component but fails to recognise or install the printer.

The installation always goes well initially with the laptop and HP device clearly communicating and connecting via the USB and giving a message part way through "Installation completed successfuly":

HP printer installation error message 1.jpg

But then, always, the "Printer Installation Failed" message appears:

HP printer installation error message 2.jpg

Trying the offered solution does not work.

Trying to install via HP Smart does not work as my printer doesn't have WiFi or Bluetooth.

Interestingly, after a failed full service installer installation attempt, the HP Print and Scan Doctor recognises my device as being installed:

HP DR 1.jpg

but when I select 'Next' I just get a "Failed to communicate" message with none of the suggested fixes working.

HP DR 2.jpg

Ultimately the HP Print and Scan Doctor says "product is not connected" despite earlier recognising it as installed!:

HP DR 3.jpg

I have also tried connecting the switched on device to the laptop in the hope that Windows will 'find new hardware' and install a driver but this does not work either.

Needless to say this is causing great frustration. Any suggestions will be gratefully received!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

usb printing problems caused by Microsoft's KB5014666 update for recent Windows 10 versions has been "resolved" on Microsoft's end by installing the newer KB5016616 update

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-10-21h2#2869msgdesc

be sure to download & install the x86/32bit version of the KB5016616 update for your 32bit Win10 OS from MS Update Catalog and test out your M1132 Laser printer when its connected to any usb port to see if it works correctly with KB5016616:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb5016616%20x86

HP Recommended

Thank you for your post but I checked and KB5016616 installed back on 12 August 2022 and still having the same problem every time since.

However in the meantime I discovered if I uninstall, remove device, reboot, attempt reinstall (which still fails for printer although scanner installs), then go to 'Add printer or scanner' [in Settings>Devices>Printers & scanners] > 'Manually install' > and use original install CD using virtual port USB002 then the printer works! ...but as soon as it disconnected/powered off it fails to print again on reconnecting /powering on unless I go through the above installation procedure all over again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.