Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP MFP M480 Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The printer is a couple of weeks old, and is connected by network cable to the router. 

Laptops connect to the router's wireless network and can generally see the printer.

There does not seem to be a pattern in which types of documents will have this issue. It results in a page with the error message, followed by another black page being printed instead of the document.

Full error details:

PCL XL Error

Subsystem: Kernel

Error: IllegalAttributeValue

Operator: VendorUnqiue

Position: 33 

This may be related, over time the printer occasionally goes "offline" and cannot be found by some PCs in the network. Rebooting the printer generally fixes this offline issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi everyone

A new firmware was released earlier in Oct 2021. I installed it 3 days ago and so far so good re: PCL XL Error

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I should have also mentioned that we are using the latest drivers and I also updated the firmware for the printer itself to the most recent version.

HP Recommended

We have run into some issues with FutureSmart 5.2.0.2 on other devices and have had to downgrade firmware to a previous version to provide reliable printing. I note that on the Canadian Support site they do not even list the firmware for the 480 which could indicate that they have pulled it.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi 

Thanks for the reply, and you're right the firmware I originally installed when I got the printer (cljM480_fs5.2.0.2_fw_2502507_000081.bdl) is no longer listed here: https://support.hp.com/au-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-color-laserjet-enterprise-mfp-m480-series/292564... 

Is there a way to downgrade the firmware? I don't see a menu option on the printer itself.

HP Recommended

As Enterprise products, these units can be downgraded either through the Embedded Web Server or through the pre-boot menu. You will need a copy of the .bdl file for an older firmware.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks again for the reply

I don't have the older firmware and the original version doesn't seem to appear in the driver download area - should I request this from HP directly somehow?

I expected HP to reply on these forums to be honest, but am very appreciative of all your help (you should be being paid!).

HP Recommended

Hi

Following this up again:

I don't have the older firmware and the original version doesn't seem to appear in the driver download area - should I request this from HP directly somehow?

HP Recommended

Hi everyone

A new firmware was released earlier in Oct 2021. I installed it 3 days ago and so far so good re: PCL XL Error

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.